What do you think of Palin's list of banned books,...?

Haven't you read any of these and enjoyed them? Sarah Palin's book ban list and Chris Hedges on "American Fascists"

When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in a flag and carrying a cross.

Sinclair Lewis, 1935

Below is a list of the books Sarah Palin tried to have banned from the Wasilla, Alaska Library. When I was in Anchorage two years ago, residents of Wasilla I met described the place as a growing, more-and-more suburban community north of Anchorage. In her speech, Palin called the area "the valley." Mayor Palin would seem to be a strong force in the suburbanization of the village of Wasilla. When the Wasilla librarian refused to trash these books, Mayor Palin tried to have her fired. This caused a stir in Wasilla which then turned into a drive to protect the librarian. Some of my favorite examples of American literature are on this list. This is the act of a patriotic American? No, this is the act of a religious fundamentalist trying to squeeze herself into the role of a mythic frontier American. The attempt to ban American literary masterpieces like Catcher In The Rye, Grapes Of Wrath, To Kill A Mockingbird, Death Of A Salesman, Leaves Of Grass, As I Lay Dying, Huckleberry Finn, Catch 22 and Tarzan indicates, flags and Bible citations aside, her ascendance to national power would be downright un-American. In the realm of Rovian political marketing and the unfolding effort to win the Presidency not with ideas but with a cult of personality, McCain is the humiliated warrior ready to "go to the gates of hell" to preserve American exceptionalism and Sarah Palin is his fascist "bride," a mythic frontier mom able to shoot, gut and cook a moose while nurturing her family who has said publicly our war in Iraq is supported by God and people should pray to God to get the Alaska gas pipeline approved.

This is a pivotal moment in American history, and we all need to expose this cult of personality for what it is, a cynical sham. Please pass this on far and wide.

John Grant

This list is taken from the official minutes of the Wasilla Library Board.

A Clockwork Orange by Anthony Burgess

A Wrinkle in Time by Madeleine L'Engle

Annie on My Mind by Nancy Garden

As I Lay Dying by William Faulkner

Blubber by Judy Blume

Brave New World by Aldous Huxley

Bridge to Terabithia by Katherine Paterson

Canterbury Tales by Geoffrey Chaucer

Carrie by Stephen King

Catch-22 by Joseph Heller

Christine by Stephen King

Confessions by Jean-Jacques Rousseau

Cujo by Stephen King

Curses, Hexes, and Spells by Daniel Cohen

Daddy's Roommate by Michael Willhoite

Day No Pigs Would Die by Robert Peck

Death of a Salesman by Arthur Miller

Decameron by Boccaccio

East of Eden by John Steinbeck

Fallen Angels by Walter Myers

Fanny Hill (Memoirs of a Woman of Pleasure) by John Cleland

Flowers For Algernon by Daniel Keyes

Forever by Judy Blume

Grendel by John Champlin Gardner

Halloween ABC by Eve Merriam

Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone by J.K. Rowling

Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets by J.K. Rowling

Harry Potter and the Prizoner of Azkaban by J.K. Rowling

Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire by J.K. Rowling

Have to Go by Robert Munsch

Heather Has Two Mommies by Leslea Newman

How to Eat Fried Worms by Thomas Rockwell

Huckleberry Finn by Mark Twain

I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings by Maya Angelou

Impressions edited by Jack Booth

In the Night Kitchen by Maurice Sendak

It's Okay if You Don't Love Me by Norma Klein

James and the Giant Peach by Roald Dahl

Lady Chatterley's Lover by D.H. Lawrence

Leaves of Grass by Walt Whitman

Little Red Riding Hood by Jacob and Wilhelm Grimm

Lord of the Flies by William Golding

Love is One of the Choices by Norma Klein

Lysistrata by Aristophanes

More Scary Stories in the Dark by Alvin Schwartz

My Brother Sam Is Dead by James Lincoln Collier and Christopher Collier

My House by Nikki Giovanni

My Friend Flicka by Mary O'Hara

Night Chills by Dean Koontz

Of Mice and Men by John Steinbeck

On My Honor by Marion Dane Bauer

One Day in The Life of Ivan Denisovich by Alexander Solzhenitsyn

One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest by Ken Kesey

One Hundred Years of Solitude by Gabriel Garcia Marquez

Ordinary People by Judith Guest

Our Bodies, Ourselves by Boston Women's Health Collective

Prince of Tides by Pat Conroy

Revolting Rhymes by Roald Dahl

Scary Stories 3: More Tales to Chill Your Bones by Alvin Schwartz

Scary Stories in the Dark by Alvin Schwartz

Separate Peace by John Knowles

Silas Marner by George Eliot

Slaughterhouse-Five by Kurt Vonnegut, Jr.

Tarzan of the Apes by Edgar Rice Burroughs

The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn by Mark Twain

The Adventures of Tom Sawyer by Mark Twain

The Bastard by John Jakes

The Catcher in the Rye by J.D. Salinger

The Chocolate War by Robert Cormier

The Color Purple by Alice Walker

The Devil's Alternative by Frederick Forsyth

The Figure in the Shadows by John Bellairs

The Grapes

* 12 minutes

Favorite Answer

In Barack Obama’s wildest dreams he couldn’t have anticipated the Republican candidate’s running mate.

A woman who has a grizzley bear skin on her office couch, is pro-gun, wants to drill Alaska for oil, won’t declare polar bears endangered species, is feverishly fundamentalist -- look, let us not go on.

http://ie.youtube.com/watch?v=5K_1Eit0pxM

There’s more than enough in that CV to establish the Alaskan governor as so far out of the ratbag end of the redneck right she’s a dot on the horizon.

Not one of these stories originated from anyone running for president or currently serving an elected role in government. Funny thing is there is a bit of truth in every one. She did fire the librarian, when she said NO Her husband was a member of the Alaskan Independence Party and she was a speaker for them on at least one occasion She certainly seems to like Pat Buchanan even if she didn't vote for him She is a creationist, and still feels there is some place in public education for it to be taught. Plus she had no problem keeping that federal money for the bridge to nowhere that was never built. She is the earmark queen. More earmarks that any other state per capita.

>>What do you think of Palin's list of banned books?<<

I think it's fake.

Questions:

1) How did Sarah Palin attempt to ban the four Harry Potter books when they had yet to be published at the time?

2) Emmons said, "But I told her (Palin) clearly, I will fight anyone who tries to dictate what books can go on the library shelves," and that she "has been offered help if it is ever needed on censorship issues from the state library association's Intellectual Freedom Committee and the National Freedom to Read Foundation."

Why then does June Pinell-Stephens, chairwoman of the Alaska Library Association's Intellectual Freedom Committee since 1984, have "no record of any phone conversations with Emmons about the issue back then"?

3) Emmons said "the American Civil Liberties Union (ACLU) would get involved, too" in any attempts at censorship.

Why has the ACLU not released any information on this case in which they surely would have gotten involved, had it actually happened?

http://www.frontiersman.com/articles/2008/09/06/br...

http://news.bostonherald.com/news/2008/view.bg?art...

EDIT: While researching where you got your information, I found a document from the City of Wasilla indicating that only four library items have been challenged and that all four of these challenges occurred either well before or well after Palin was mayor. Go to http://www.cityofwasilla.com/index.aspx?page=136 and click on "Banned or Censured Books Response."

I've read about this fake list before. Do you realize that some of them weren't even published when this was supposed to have happened? Are you Dan Rather?

fs

Editor's note: This story first ran in the Mat-Su Valley Frontiersman Dec. 18, 1996. It has been typeset and posted here to accommodate numerous requests for the story from media worldwide and curious individuals. Please note that not at any time were any books ever banned from the Wasilla city library.

• kejjer

I think you have been suckers by the lefties of the world!

http://michellemalkin.com/2008/09/06/the-bogus-sar...

The very bottom of the page---Palin did ask the librarian to resign--along with several other city employees that were appointed by the prior MAYOR.

But there is no evidence that Palin ever asked the librian to ban specific books or that she wanted to fire the librarian for any other reason than she was a political appointee from the prior MAYOR

Source(s): That thing on my shoulders

Hello people this was in the news cast.Without the list.I think it is interesting.The woman interveiwed said she was asked to leave because she refused to remove certain books.And you can not find any onfo because suddendly this womens dealings have been scrubbed clean.Politics.

• Garth

Well, if you can post an official link to the documents that prove this is true, then I'd have to say Palin is the wrong person for any job in American government.

I was unable to locate this "supposed" list of books from the Wasilla Library. Please post your sources more consisely before slandering a candidate. Personal opinions do not count as grounds for persecuting an American citizen.

Maybe if she wouldnt of banned all those books her daughter could of been reading rather then getting humped.

This has already been debunked from a left wing smear site.