Jenny B asked in HealthMental Health · 1 decade ago

Can I tell my therapist I'm having suicidal thoughts w/o getting sent to the loony bin?

I want to be honest...but...I don't want to end up in a psyc. ward. Thoughts and plans are different things.

Like I said, it's THOUGHTS not plans....it's different.... Why is everyone thinking I need to be IN a mental ward. Thanks for the..ahem..support.

Favorite Answer

If you have a good therapist, they will ask you questions about your thoughts. They also know that thoughts are totally different than actions. They will not send you to a psych ward just for thinking about suicide, homicide, self harm, not eating, whatever you can think of.

Everyone has thoughts of suicide at some point in their life, I haven't meet someone who hasn't, when they are being totally honest. It is perfectly normal.

Feel free to talk to your therapist about your thoughts. Make sure you tell them what you told us, thoughts are not actions. Your therapist will be able to help you work through what is causing the thoughts. You will be able to learn more about when you will need to be in a psych ward and when you don't. I personally don't believe that you need to be in one.

If you are wanting to chat with someone before you go to your therapist there are several on-line support chat rooms. A good one is www.freedomfromfear.org the people there are very kind and considerate.

http://www.mentalhelp.net/ not only has a community to chat with but they also have many great articles for reading

Don't be afraid of talking to your therapist. They are there to help you. They will not send you anywhere for thinking about anything!!!

Good Luck!

Source(s): I'm a therapist (LCSW) with several years experience

Ok..if you tell your therapist that you are having thoughts about suicide, he or she will not admit you to the psychiatric ward so long as you do not have any specific plans and they do not deem you as a threat to yourself or others around you.

I've been in the psychiatric ward twice: once after and OD and the second time was a self-admit. It isn't as bad as movies or hype make it seem. The main things that happen while you are in there is nurses supervise you to monitor your behavior and doctor(s) evaluate and give or adjust medications if needed or wanted depending on the case. Some wards also offer group sessions, but I've found that pediactric psychiatric wards offer groups more often than their adult counterparts.

Since you are asking about this on Yahoo! Answers, I think that this is something that you should definately talk to your therapist about. Voice your concerns about not wanting to be admitted and then if they try to push it, offer them reasons why you should not be admitted.

I am a firm believer in the idea that a hospital setting isn't the best healing environment for everyone. Some people do better just talking about their problems and having a support system of friends and family.

Do what you think is best for you and go for it. This is your life that we are talking about. Take charge.

Take gentle care...

Source(s): Bipolar Disorder sufferer, recovering self-injurer, recovering drug/alcohol addictt, 2 admits to psychiatric wards and countless sessions with therapists, psychologists, psychiatrists, etc, and current psychology major.

Yes. Therapists are very well trained. They know the difference between thoughts and plans. Being honest with your therapist is the best thing you can do. You can explain what sorts of thoughts you've been having.

If your therapist thinks you need hospitalization, he or she should be very kind about it and talk it over with you. Your therapist knows the difference between crazy and varying degrees of depression.

If you can't trust this therapist, find one you can trust. Things can get better. I've told therapists about some scary thoughts I've had and they have always been very good to me. Good luck.

You can't. If you tell a mental health professional that you're having thoughts of killing yourself they have a legal and ethical obligation to inform the police and have you hauled away to the mental hospital. But, as a veteran resident of mental hospitals I can tell you they only keep you there a few days and the main focus is to get your medication straight until you are feeling better. On the outside, worse case scenario I have only been kept in the hospital for 2 weeks. It really ISN'T SO BAD. iT IS BORING AS HELL BECAUSE YOU JUST SIT AROUND AND MAYBE GO TO A GROUP NOW and then. In some they let you smoke cigarettes and you meet a lot of cool people.

You have to take care of yourself. If you don't, you will end up in a hospital somewhere and locked in. If you are having suicidal thoughts, you need to get yourself to a counselor or someone who can help you. This is not a joke. This is your life we are talking about, because you know depression has the ability to kill you. This is a fact. The only way to help yourself is to take care yourself. This means not pushing yourself past your breaking point. If you are crying, exhausted and feeling depressed at the same time that you have the responsibilities of be full time student, you are running yourself into the ground. STOP DOING THIS RIGHT NOW.

best bet is seriously either start a journal or start your own vlogs

to get things off your chest

its way better then speaking to a therapist who is only there for the money there so fake i went to lots of therapists they dont talk to you like a friend you talk to them and they write stuff down

and at the end of the session there like oh just stop thinking about it

my sister when i was younger got raped this has bothered me for years and i finally told a therapist about it

all they say is well just stop thinking about it and then they try and give u different types of pills because u were depressed about it

as soon as u say the words i want to kill myself they call the hospital and say your going on your own or will call the ambulance

dont go to therapists or group therapy there just as band instead

invite friends over once a week and chat let things off your chest that way you will be surpirsed how other people feel the same way u do all the time

Source(s): my experience..

Well you probably don't want to hear this, but maybe you should go. I spent a week on the psychiatric floor of a hospital and while yes, it did suck, it isn't like on the movies. The nurses were super nice and the doctors were well, doctors. They do help you and maybe you won't have these suicidal thoughts anymore.

If you voluntarily admit yourself, generally you can discharge yourself at any time. They can however put a 72 hour hold on you if they think you are a grave danger to yourself or others.

for those who answered that you would get locked up, they probably haven't had the experience. As you said, thoughts, plans, and actions are all different, and your therapist would likely ask you if you had made specific plans, if you had tried this before, and other things, not to see how "serious" you are, because obviously if its bothering you enough to want to talk about it, then its serious for you, but to assess the situation and take the appropriate measures, which is not automatically to have you committed.

• DavoJo

I've had the same. I usually don't tell anyone about it because they never seem to understand. This is probably not what you want to hear, but I just wanted to say that other people feel the same way and that you most likely don't need to be in a psych ward.

Good luck, I hope you can sort it out.

You should absolutely tell your therapist. Thoughts of suicide is a very serious condition and must not be taken lightly! Don't worry, no one is going to lock you up. This is a sign of depression, which is easily treatable with today's modern miracle drugs (such as Prozac) combined with psychotherapy (talking to a trained counselor). I've been taking Prozac for 12 years, and, let me tell you, it works wonders.

Good luck!

Carey