Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Pregnancy & ParentingParenting · 1 decade ago

Would leave your child alone in the car?

I am not asking if you would leave them to run into the store but if you were going to do something and be in eye sight the whole time would you leave a child under 5 in the car? I always take mine out but i saw this story on the news and she is going to be on dr.phil next week and i think what happen to her was wrong.

http://www.imperfectparent.com/topics/2008/03/05/t...

What is your opinion on this?

Favorite Answer

i agree that it is wrong! when my son was younger i would too leave him to pay for gas, get a newpaper/milk at a convient. especially when he was asleep. now, he is 3 1/2 yrs old, i take him out for ALL these things because i do not have child safety locks on my door and he can undo his 5-point harness. he will do this and open the door, running across the lot which is unsafe.

p.s. i think a lot of parents are lying. my answer states the obvious that once they can get out, they can't be left. but, i find it hard to believe that so many claim to take their kids in at all times to stores. please, i never see anyone taking the infant carrier into the gas station in the pouring rain or having a gallon of milk in one hand and an infant carrier in the other at the convienant. but i do see a lot of kids in cars at these places. ;)

i live in suburban chicago, very close to tinley park. i can say people are real sticklers here about leaving your kids in the car. but what that woman did is not child endangerment at all! i have been confronted more than once for leaving my infant in the car to pay for my gas in the winter while they were asleep and temps were quite cold. or, leaving him to go grab a gallon of milk. i've only been confronted by citizens who had no kids with them and told me off and said if they ever saw it again, they would call the cops! lots of busy bodies, paranoid people and such around here. i would have to asume this poor woman had some busy body go to a nearby parked car and asumed she was shopping in walmart (which would be child endangerment.) at this walmart there are security officers which circle the parking lot, that is why they arrived so fast. yet, they still should have been able to see the obvious and let her go!!

to Nik, it is NOT laziness to leave a child in the car. this mom wasn't lazy, not sure where you live but in an icy storm on an icy lot, it is more a safety issue and thinking of the comfort of her child that this mom left a sleeping child in the car TO DONOTE TO SALVATION ARMY. People are not too lazy to take their kids out, in fact, sometimes if i have stuff to do, get home, and my son is sleeping in the car (in good weather not hot or cold) i'll think of him first and sit in the yard instead of moving him or leaving him unattended.

Source(s): mom living near to tinley park, il

In that situation, the mother could have simply pulled up to the Wal-Mart door and let the older children drop the money in the bucket when she realized the younger child was asleep. I often donate money to the bell ringers without even leaving my car for that very reason. I just tell them that I have a sleeping baby and can't get out of the car. They happily come to the window to collect the few dollars I want to drop off or whatever. Parking the car and walking to the door while leaving the youngest child in the car was not the smartest thing to do. Period. That being said, do I completely agree that she should be charged with child endangerment though? No. I think that's stretching things a little too far.

I always put all three of my kids in the van, then return my shopping cart to the designated area. I purposefully park close to one of those things, but I still have to walk away from the vehicle for a moment. Technically, I guess I'm endangering my childrens' lives just like she was. Who wants to arrest me? I just think its taking things a little too far.

I understand that anything can happen within a moments time, but I'm so tired of everyone else trying to dictate every single aspect of my parenting choices. Sheesh. How much of the tax payers dollars are going into prosecuting this woman? I'd rather spend my money in a more productive way. Thanks.

the parents of the only being hit did no longer say it became okay to leave the youngsters contained in the motor vehicle although, it became purely the guy who popped returned to get her coat. If she quite did only pop returned to get her coat that must be ok i think of (unstrapping 2 teenagers and getting them interior for ten seconds it no longer possibly clever) however the baby had sufficient time to get right into a controversy, stumble on a heavy jack, and hit a baby 11 situations on the pinnacle... now that ought to take, what, a million/2 an hour? So the determine of the attacker became actually as much as something. How can a three year previous, strapped right into a motor vehicle seat, stumble on a jack, raise it up, and hit yet another baby? there is something very atypical approximately this tale.

That is scary to me because my kids are 6 and 10 I would never actually leave them in the car unsupervised but- at Walmart, when I put the grocery's in the car, i unlock the doors, get my kids in and my oldest locks the doors while i put the buggy in the buggy slots (never anymore than 40 feet away. I always felt they were safer in those 30 seconds then trailing me in the crowded parking lot to put the buggy back.

Other than that, o. They have never been left in the car. I wonder now, if I should stop doing this just because some people are feeling high and mighty and might call CPS. although, I'm actually pretty sure they would just laugh around here. I mean the real danger is when the parents leaves and goes INTO the store.

Source(s): Edit: another break off question. at what age do people think it is safe to leave a child and put the buggy back with doors locked? Mine are 6 and 10 like I said- is that too young? If my 6 year old was alone with me, I would take her with me 100%. I'm really curious about this now. Edit: Whoever gave me thumbs down is a thick headed moron. How about instead of thumbing people down you give them an opinion on the question they asked. i did ask if anyone thought what i did was wrong so be big enough to frickin ANSWER me instead of being a judgemental twat!!

No, i would never, ever leave my kids in the car even if i were in eye sight the whole time. I live in Las Vegas, NV, it is very hot here. You could be in the store for 5 minutes and the inside of the car would be at least 120 degrees just from the heat of the sun. I think its illegal here to leave your child in the car. But i would never do that ever, i dont know about other cities, but here, its dangerous!

I honestly don't believe all the facts of the story are there. First off you don't leave a sleeping baby in the car to donate money in a salvation army bucket, it isn't worth the risk, now if your parked in front of your house and need to run to the door to grab the diaper bag because you forgot it, that is another story, but you would be within feet of your car in a safety zone where the car is shut off and only feet away.

Good Question, I am interested in reading all the things, and one thing is for sure in the rurel area gas stations aren't as packed as the city and there aren't as many people probing in your car for things so I guess culture does play into that as well. I live in a busy City where children are targets.

Some say it is ok even at a gas station but this would be the worst, because it is where easy access to the child abductors, all they have to do is break a window grab and run.

This was a busy Walmart mall area, and my biggest question is there was enough time for a police officer to be notified or see a child in a car where there were hundreds of cars, what brought their attention to the abandoned car specifically was the child screaming, and why wasn't the mother aware of someone by her car if she was watching it the whole time? So obviously there is more to this than just a quick run to the donation bucket.

Children are our best gift for the future and to ignore them in this fashion is child neglect sounds like she needed a wake up call and needs to get her priorities straight. A donation doesn't take president over getting your child home safely.

I don't know what to think of this. I mean on one hand if they let her go, would that give more parents reasons for leaving their child in the car? But on another note. I think that everybody is in danger every minute if we look at it like this. I mean think about it. She locked the doors. She didn't want to fall on the ice with her child in tow. But should we all sleep with our children in the same room? God knows children have been kidnapped out of their own homes numerous times. I just think about how lenient the world used to be. Children were aloud to ride their bikes all over town alone. Now we are all scared about leaving our children unattended in our own backyards! What has this world come to? We as parents are supposed to raise our children and prepare them for the real world but we are all to afraid to show them the true world. I think children should be able to go out and play all day like they used to. My mom and her siblings where put outside to play all day. They went into the house for lunch and supper, than when it became dusk they had to go in for the night. I know for some of you, it would seem that I am getting off topic but in a way I am not. This is all part of a parents right. Now a days you see a child riding their bike around the streets and you automatically wonder where their parents are. This never used to be like that.

• fun

This topic is very controversial, I love how we all have different views on what is ok and what is considered child neglect. Scenario 1, I have seen parents leaving their children in their car when they are going to pay for gas, you can see the children, it is NOT hot weather and it is just going to take 2 minutes to pay and come back to the car....for ME that's not a big deal. Scenario 2, You have to go to buy some groceries, it'll take you more than 10 minutes, you can't see your children, the weather is hot (even if you leave the air conditioner on), THAT is a big NO NO, If I see this...I will be the first one calling the police.

I think that it all depends, it is soo easy to judge someone else without even knowing exactly the facts. We like to seek the trash in others peoples yard but we failed to do the same with ours.

• Jenn

I'm about to give birth to my first child in two weeks and I'm a little nervous about such situations. I of course, would leave her in the car while I was pumping gas, but if I wanted to go inside for a drink, I would take her with me of course.

I can't think of any other situation where she would need to be in the car while I was within eyeshot.

If I was going into a building, leaving them outside, then, no - I wouldn't leave them in the car at that age (or even now, at 6 & 8, unless teenager was in car with them, too).

But, if I'm simply outside of the car, still in sight of car, while they are inside of car, then I don't think there's anything wrong with that at all. I don't think I'd leave the engine running, or leave the car unlocked, but to me this case is no different than, say, parking the car & getting out to pump gas or drop some mail in a roadside mailbox. You're not going to get your kids out of the car while you're doing that, are you?

how bout this one true story, happened to me in may.

i was about to take my daughter to the store to get some groceries. i put her in her car seat and and buckled her in as always, placed my purse and keys in the front seat, i thought the car doors were unlocked and shut the door. to my horror i found that the driver door was locked when i walked around, the hatch was locked and so was the passenger door. i was burning up outside and i knoew she was hot in there. i drive a yaris. this was at about 11 am. i tried to tal kher through getting out of the carseat but she kept telling me it was a nono and she would get in trouble. luckily she had a sippy cup near her. i told her to take a sip. i ran to the neighbors and used their phone to call my mom to bring the extra key so that we could get her out. she was turning red and i was crying. she kept telling me she was hot. and about 15 minutes later when she told me her cuppy was empty and mom was stillabout 20 minutes away i thought for sure i was watching my daughter die. i was so upset. finally my mom got to the house and unlocked the door. i grabbed her out instantly, she was starting to act really sleepy. ONLY ABOUT 45 MINUTES PASSED. when i took her temp it was 105 axillary 2 minutes after getting out. needless to say we went to the ER instead of the grocery store.

Luckily she is perfectly fine to this day but i no longer shut the door with out my keys and phone in hand nor do i leave her in the car to even pump gas.

Source(s): she to this day talks about how scaryit was being locked in the hot car