Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Pregnancy & ParentingAdolescent · 1 decade ago

Should I wait until I'm in college to get a car?

I have two options right now. I will be getting my permit in November, and I will hopefully have my license in March. My mom thinks I shouldn't get a car because in two years, I will be going to college. I can't have a car on campus until I'm a sophomore where I want to go. If I got a car, I would be the one making the monthly payments on it, and I would have to pay for insurance and gas. I would use it to go to school, go to my job, do things with my friends, etc.

My other option would be to use my mom's car. I would just have to put gas in it sometimes, and I would have to pay for my insurance. I would save my money from my job and get a car when I'm allowed one in college. If I wanted to take it to school, though, I would have to go drop my mom off at work at 6:45, and then take it to school for 7. Then, I would have to leave school and go pick her up from work at 3:15. If I wanted it in the summer, I would have to get up, get ready, take her to work, and then be up all day. She is very lenient, but she just needs a way to and from work if I use the car that day.

What option sounds better?

Favorite Answer

Save as much money as you can between now and March. Ask for cash for Christmas and your birthday. Then put it toward an inexpensive car that you won't have to make monthly payments on. Carry only liability insurance on it - no collision.

Yes, it will be older and may need more repairs. Yes, if you crash it, you may have to junk it, but you'll save on insurance (it may be less than on you mom's car) and won't have to borrow money to pay for it. I have had 3 kids get their licenses, and the best part of that is the convenience of their being able to get where they need to go without always depending on me. We tried sharing cars, and it resulted in using a lot of gas and a lot of inconvenience.

Shop around and find an old car with good resale value. Then when you go to college, you may be able to sell it for almost as much as you paid for it and put the money toward your first year's tuition or save it as a down payment on a car that you can take farther away from home the next year.

Good luck - practice hard for that road test!

I would probably get my own car now, but it depends on what you can afford.

Good Luck in whatever decison you make! :)