Was King Arthur a Christian?

Do you think he was a christian? He had a Wizard as his advisor.

I love the legend its a cool story .

I just want to say yall have given such wonderful answers (yes I am from the South)

I have asked honest questions from the Bible and have gotten alot of "Rude" answers. (seems to me kinda wierd being this IS the religouse section and all.) "Where are all the Christians?" Time for me, I guesse to rile them up.

I have also read alot of hate against Americans. Well ,I am a American and I won't put up with all your crap come round to my door. My door is my country.

God Bless America and all free Nations! AMEN.

Oh yeah , Thanks Everybody that answerd . I really enjoyed reading your responces. RED WHITE AND BLUE!!

Holds head down in shame . Just realized, I am in Mythlogy and Folklore. Sorry, if I insulted anyone. Those people in Religion and Spiritualism are really mean.

Favorite Answer

He was a good man regardless. The fact that he believed in the holy grail would make him Christian but Pagan friendly. Christians and Pagans can get along.

• Robert4 months agoReport

thanks i needed to know that

Arthur Christian

It is not clear whether or not Arthur was one man or a collective of tales of different kings. Although in theory Britain was Christianised by the Romans at the end of their occupation the general populace were probably still following pagan traditions.

It is also not until the 12th century that he is directly linked with Merlin. It is thought the Merlin figure existed at a time when some of the tribal leaders, like Vortigen, where still pagan in belief.

Arthur becomes embroiled in the Christian religion with the tales that are attributed to his legend at the end of the Dark Ages and the beginning of the Middle Ages. The Dark Ages were so called because the people had not yet embraced the enlightenment of Christianity.

While his historical existence has been debated the answer is almost certainly yes. The Britains were Romanized after the Claudian invasion in the first century, to the point where there is even a legend (collected in the Mabinogion) which suggests that the emperor Maximus (Macsen Wledig) was Welsh. The Roman Empire was Christianized, of course, after Constantine, and Saint Patrick was a Welshman who was kidnapped to Ireland by slavers, so the Britons, or Welsh, who fought the Saxons, were Christians, because they were Romanized by the recently-ended occupation of Britain by the Romans.

Most of the candidates for being Arthur were romanized Britons, however even the above-mentioned Maximus Magnus has been claimed as a possible inspiration for the story. Again, his career was AFTER Constans II declared that the Roman Empire should henceforth be Christian.

The Wikipedia, as usual, is a good reference to start this with, and as usual it contains a few items of questionable provenance -- but that is true of most references on the subject. If he lived (as he probably did), King Arthur lived at the start of the period we know as the Dark Ages, and there is by definition little chance we will get definitive answers about him.

Yes, he would have been,although recent books and movies have thought it 'cool' to portray him as pagan instead ie in the last Arthur movie with Clive Owen he married Guinevere in a stone circle...despite the fact stone circles fell out of use over 1500 years before and were probably as mysterious to Arthur's folk as they are to us.

Someone mentioned THE MISTS OF AVALON book, which is where a lot of the 'pagan Arthur' tales originated. Alas, the 'old religion' in Britain was nothing like what MZB created in her book-for instance it wasn't matriarchal,although some tribes reckoned matrilineal descent, nor is there evidence that there was 1 supreme 'great mother' figure, there seems to have been lots of gods and goddesses,often regional. Even more important, she portrayed them almost as happy hippies declaring peace and love until the nasty Romans came--celtic people were head hunters among other things!

• Mona

Yes, he was a Christian but he had very close links with the ancient religion of Britain that was around long before Christianity was brought there. His mother, Igraine was descended from a line of Priestesses of Avalon and his sister Morgaine was also a Priestess of Avalon and a powerful sorceress. Arthur himself, was said to uphold Christian values and lived (mostly) as a Christian.

And yep, you're right, it's a a great story, I love it. If you like it, you should read the Avalon trilogy by Marion Zimmer Bradley - they're very good books.

According to the same legend in which Merlin was Arthur’s advisor, Arthur was a Christian. Of course, in the earliest tales Merddin or Merlin lived about three or four generations after Arthur. It is strongly suspected that the placing of Merlin in the generations just before Arthur was an invention of Geoffrey of Monmouth.

So what are you talking about?

Any novelist could create a story in which Arthur is not a Christian. Some have.

Marion Zimmer Bradley, Geoffreyof Monmouth, Chrétien de Troyes, Robert de Boron, Thomas Malory, Alfred Tennyson, Wolfram von Eschenbach—they were all story tellers, passing on stories and making up stories. They weren’t telling the truth. They were all liars, if you want to put it that way. They are writing fiction.

Igraine was descended from a line of priestesses of Avalon in Marion Zimmer Bradley’s version, not in other version. That’s an example of fiction. Why would any intelligent person take the account of a modern novelist as truth over older accounts? One might enjoy such an account, in the same way one can enjoy Shakespeare’s “Hamlet” or Shakespeare’s “Macbeth”?

Shakesperare's Hamlet is obviously Christian. However Saxo Grammaticus' Amleth, on Shakespeare’s Hamlet was based, was a prince of Jutland (not Denmark) in pagan times.

That you are an American has nothing to do with your question. Why bring that up? You ask a crap question and then attempt to justify it by your nationality? You are being both rude and ignorant. If you have been equally rude in other cases, then I’m not surprised that you have received equally rude answers.

The majority of people on this site aren’t Americans. And if you want to be part of this site, then you must put up with what you call the crap of such people just as they must put up with your crap and the crap of some Marion Zimmer Bradley fans who don’t seem to be able to tell the difference between a fantasy novel and history.

“Time for me , I guesse to rile them up”? If you are trying to rile poeple up, then you have lost any right to complain that people are riled up.

Yes he was and he sent the knight's of the round table out to find the holy grail,according to legand Watch the moive Excalber,that's a good one.