Starting a Cleaning Business?

I would like to know how to go about starting my own cleaning business and on an average how much investment is required and some guidelines regarding how much to charge?

7 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

Go to score.org and in the upper left hand corner, enter your zip code. On the next screen, you will find the SCORE chapter nearest you. Call them and arrange for a free meeting with a SCORE counselor.

SCORE "Counselors to America's Small Business" is a nonprofit association dedicated to educating entrepreneurs and the formation, growth and success of small business nationwide. SCORE is a resource partner with the U.S. Small Business Administration (SBA).

SCORE was founded in 1964 and is headquartered in Herndon, VA and Washington, DC and has 389 chapters throughout the United States and its territories, with 11,500 volunteers nationwide. Both working and retired executives and business owners donate time and expertise as business counselors. SCORE is America's premier source of free and confidential small business advice for entrepreneurs.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

A cleaning business-whether residential or office-is a terrific way to have a stable income. And you're smart to investigate before you try and get clients!

Here's some beginning steps:

1. Check with your city or county clerk's office to see if you need a business license or fictitious name license. These are inexpensive ($25-$50) and usually last 3 or more years;

2. Then, call around to insurance companies and compare prices for liability insurance (sometimes called bond). This protects you if something breaks or gets damaged while you're on the job. And, yes, sometimes you didn't do it, but with this you can keep a client! AND, when you can say to potential clients, "I have liability insurance" it not only makes you professional, but adds confidence. It shouldn't cost more than around $100-$300/yr for $100K coverage (you don't need more than that for now);

3. Call existing cleaning companies, pretend to be a potential customer, to find out the going rates and services provided;

4. NOW, make a nice flyer and/or introductory letter about your service and start knockin' on doors, so to speak! Dress nice, maybe have a t-shirt made up with your company name and/or logo at Cafepress.com, too. Think about magnetic signs and/or a vinyl wrap for your vehicle;

5. And spend less than $39 on a business cleaning kit (less than that for a residential cleaning kit!) that will give you the basic contracts, forms for estimates, pricing charts and book-keeping, intro letters, supply list and resources, customer leads and other valuable tips. It will save you time and money in the long run!

This is a general start. There is lots of information available for you below......

• 1 decade ago

I once had a lady friend that got fed up with the "work a day world" and started her own cleaning business. She had almost nothing exec pt a few cleaning tools and an old car. She bought commercial grad cleaning supplies as she needed them from over the counter places like Walmart, and Home depot. She started cleaning up rentals for a couple of realtors, people were so impressed with her work and ethics that she soon ended up with contracts to clean and detail out all the new homes for the area board of realtors and the "parade of Homes".

In a very short time (six months) she was making several thousand dollars a week, had a crew of 6 other ladies working for her, and more work that they could do.

One of the biggest things you can do to help your business is to do what she did. 1. concentrate on the best quality service. 2. keep your business ethics above reproach. 3. be honest. 4. work with your local area Chamber of Commerce, etc. they can give you incredible help.

• 4 years ago

Hi! I clean small offices (see my Profile) and have friends who do residential cleaning. The term "deep cleaning" usually refers to homes and businesses that have not been professionally cleaned in months or years. It is an extremely thorough cleaning and it would be hard to do that repeatedly for the same place. Much better to do an initial deep clean with a contractual weekly/bi-weekly cleaning. $150 is a reasonable minimum price for two people doing a deep cleaning-but that depends on the size of home and exactly what you will do for a deep cleaning. Better for you and your friends to do some practice cleaning to determine how long it takes to do each chore, set up a pricing sheet and use that to do estimates for deep cleaning. More tips and resources are at my Squidoo lens-the link is in My Profile. Go For It and Good Luck!!

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 decade ago

www.legalzoom.com

You will find the necessary forms to register your business with your state and file for "Doing Business As- DBA".

www.irs.org

Go here to register your business for a federal employer ID number.

Contact me if you're in need of a wholesale supplier for cleaning products.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

You can start a cleaning business with almost no money. Pricing is based on a square footage price chart that you can get from http://cleanuptheprofit.com

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

it depends on what type of cleaner

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.