Yahoo Answers is shutting down on May 4th, 2021 (Eastern Time) and the Yahoo Answers website is now in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

Riku asked in Family & RelationshipsFriends · 1 decade ago

How onld do you have to be to stay home alone?

I have friend(seriously) and his mom likes to go out leaving him with a babysitter(he hates it) he was to chiken to put up a question so i'm putting up for him.

He is 13, and he even has cousins that live like a on the same apoartments(3 down)

how old do you have to be tp stay home alone?

Favorite Answer

My brother is 10 and stays home alone all of the time. Your friend should stand up for himself and talk to his mom about the situation.

I'm 13 and I stay home when I'm sick for at least 7 hours at times. So I believe that his mom has absolutely no reason for a babysitter. Especially with relatives minutes away.

I don't know if this is just an age question. It may have something to do with the mom's comfort level. She may be afraid that if something bad was to happen, there is someone else with him.

Or maybe the mom feels the son is too immature to stay home alone, what kind of trouble would he be able to get into.

I'm not understating one of your statements, but is sounds like they live in an apartment complex, and there are other family members there? Maybe the mom could ask the family members to check on him every so often, or have him stay with them.

It may also depend on the time of day when she leaves him.

I suggest he talks to the mom and see why she still chooses to hire a babysitter, and demonstrate to her why he is ready to be left home alone. Maybe they can try in on short time frames.

Your friend should obey his parents. Maybe it's not safe for him or something. The only reason they give him a baby sitter is because they really care about him. :)

It depends on your state. All laws are different according to the state you live in.

i stayed home when i was 11