Anonymous

Can you name any dark-skinned female singers of our generation?

I'm not talking about singers from the 80's and 90's or farther back,

I'm talking about the singers today, like 2004-right now.

I'm a darker skinned girl (think between oprah and kelly rowland) and someone brought this to my attention today, how they're aren't really alot of dark-skinned females in the music industry (i want to be a singer someday, and this was kind of discouraging) i mean, the biggest female singers of my time are people like beyonce, rihanna, brooke valentine, keri hilson, ashanti, and so on; they're ALL light skinned. now i'm fully aware that there are some dark-skinned lady singers too, such as jasmine sullivan, kelly rowland, and jennifer hudson, but still, like i said it's a small percentage. so can you name some famous, successful female singers that are darker skinned, and have been around for the past four years or so?

Thanks.

authentic black american;

there's loads and you name two?

and the last single kelly rowland had out was 'like this', which was months ago, and didn't really get much radio time(correct me if i'm wrong).

i'll give you credit for estelle though.

I meant king of london for the above added details, sorry.

and ciara is light skinned?

so is ashanti.

i'm aware i said the last four years but now i'm changing it to some time more recent, because you haven't really heard anything from missy elliot lately.

teyanna taylor and M.I.A(although i love her too) are light-skinned. when i say dark skinned, i mean anyone a shade darker than queen latifah or oprah.

dawn and d woods were good ones too

Stacey I:

uuh, "your people"? "your kind"?

you're the one who sounds like a racist.

and silver spoon? uh, last time i checked you didn't hear about orlando blum or demi moore being raised in harlem or compton, so that was pure ignorance on your part. this had nothing to do with racism at all. i never said anything about white people or any other 'kind' but my own.

so as far as 'dumb a$$es" go, you're the only one that falls under that category, and anyone else who feels the same way you do.

i actually take pity on you and your politically incorrect perspective of african americans. how about you pick up a book and read about what we went/go through before you label this as 'B.S'.?

Thanks.

Bloom*

And by the way, I'd say the dog as your avatar fits you well.

• Choc1
    Favorite Answer

Estelle, Algebra Blessette, Angie Stone, but you're right there aren't many, that because entertainment only views lighter skin Blacks as beautiful and those are the ones that they tend to market.

We'll probably never see this again http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pJWpNkcyx8E

Youtube thumbnail

I agree and the only singer i can think of right now is Jennifer Hudson and Lauryn Hill but in the UK there's Jamelia, Estelle, Keisha Buchanan(from Sugababes), Shingai Shoniwa (from The Noisettes)

Kelly from destiny child

Estelle a Black British singer

Theres loads are you moaning about something?

• Ayita

D Woods and Dawn from Danity Kane

And that new singer that Missy Elliot discovered

Tweet

India Arie

Janet Jackson

Ciara

Missy Elliot

Ashanti- I wouldnt consider her "light skinned"

Beyonce used to be darker than she is now. Alot of people come off lighter on TV than they are in person.

that's an interesting question I hope you will find some valuable answers

Dark skin is so beautiful Don't let pop culture kill your joy.

teyana taylor

http://www.myspace.com/rockstarteyana

jennifer hudson not only is she dark she big to so i can happen girl

Keri Hilson

M.I.A. <--- love her