Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureLanguages · 1 decade ago

Is Panggalatok really a dying language? If so, why?

I desperately need this for my research. If you will give me a site, that would be great. If not, please write your sources. All your answers will be appreciated. Thank you very much.

Favorite Answer

I doubt it. Two million speakers is hardly 'dying'.

"The Pangasinan language (Pangasinan: "salitan Pangasinan"; Spanish: "idioma pangasinense", sometimes called "Panggalatok") belongs to the Malayo-Polynesian languages branch of the Austronesian languages family. Pangasinan is spoken by more than two million Pangasinan people in the province of Pangasinan, in other Pangasinan communities in the Philippines, and by a significant number[quantify] of Pangasinan immigrants in the United States. Pangasinan is the primary language in the province of Pangasinan, located on the west central area of the island of Luzon along the Lingayen Gulf. It is the language spoken by most people in central Pangasinan. It is the official regional language in the province of Pangasinan."

"The Pangasinan language is one of the twelve major languages in the Philippines."

But on the other hand:

"Many Pangasinans are multilingual and proficient in English; Tagalog, the national language of the Philippines; and Ilokano, a neighboring language. However, the spread and influence of the other languages is contributing to the decline of the Pangasinan language. Some Pangasinans are promoting the use of Pangasinan in the print and broadcast media, Internet, local governments, courts, and schools in Pangasinan. In April 2006, the creation of Pangasinan Wikipedia was proposed, which the Wikimedia Foundation approved for publication in the Internet."

• Juan C

"Andi awa. Mansasalita ak ya Pangasinense. Taga diman ak. Balet waja ak ed Estados Unidos natan, balet diman ak inianak tan bimaleg. "

"Oh no. I speak Pangasinense. I'm from Pangasinan. But I am here now in the United States, but I was born and I grew up there."

Yeah, I speak Pangasinense... it's my native dialect... I believe that it's yet a dying language, since most of my friends and relatives speak it...