How long does canned food last after the expiration date?

My mom has canned food that has dents in the lid an the side of the cans, rust and they're as old as this house is (which is 20 years old). And if boxed things (like jello, noodles, soup mix, etc.) haven't been opened, how long can they go past their expiration date before they get old?

4 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

Canned food has a shelf life of at least two years from the date of processing. Canned food retains its safety and nutritional value well beyond two years, but it may have some variation in quality, such as a change of color and texture. Canning is a high-heat process that renders the food commercially sterile. Food safety is not an issue in products kept on the shelf or in the pantry for long periods of time. In fact, canned food has an almost indefinite shelf life at moderate temperatures (75° F and below). Canned food as old as 100 years has been found in sunken ships and it is still microbiologically safe! We don't recommend keeping canned food for 100 years, but if the can is intact, not dented or bulging, it is edible.

• keneth
    Lv 4
    3 years ago

Canned Food Expiration Date

• 4 years ago

This Site Might Help You.

RE:

How long does canned food last after the expiration date?

My mom has canned food that has dents in the lid an the side of the cans, rust and they're as old as this house is (which is 20 years old). And if boxed things (like jello, noodles, soup mix, etc.) haven't been opened, how long can they go past their expiration date before they get old?

Source(s): long canned food expiration date: https://tr.im/YqTRM
  • 1 decade ago

when i was in the army we had C-rations, and that was in 1977.i remember the date would be on the big box that they came in,they were boxed in the year 1942.and we never ran across bad food in the cans.some of the stuff might be antique.i'm in antique stores all the time and i see that kind of stuff.if your going to eat it just smell it first.or if your like my wife she smells everything before she eats it.not a bad idea.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.