How old do you have to be to get an industrial piercing done?

I've wanted one forever, but my sister said you have to be at least 16 because I would have to get it done at a tattoo shop.

Thank you to all who answer. (:

Favorite Answer

For your ears to be physically mature (close enough to finished growing) enough to safely have an industrial you would need to be at LEAST 16. Regardless of the local laws, any piercer who would place an industrial on someone under the age of sixteen is unprofessional, does not care about the outcome of the piercing, and is generally out to get your money regardless of what happens to your ear. An industrial is a delicate piercing that has to be carefully performed and balanced. This is difficult enough to do well on an adult ear. Trying to pierce someone who is still rapidly growing is just begging for the piercing to become a scarred, awkward mess that eventually has to be removed. So if a piercer offers to work on you while you are under 16, run the other direction.

Once you are closer to grown, the local laws come into play. In most states you must be 18 to get a piercing on your own. Under 18 many states have laws that allow for a parent to sign for body piercings. This rule means that your parent can sign for any non-genital piercing that you want, BUT no reputable and safe shop is likely to work on you under age 16. In the UK you can be pierced at 16 without parental consent. To know your local laws and the policies of the shop that you want to go to, a phone call is the fastest way to get an accurate answer. Calling the shop can also get you information on what kind of materials you'll need to bring along like ID and proof of gaurdianship.

For an industrial to go well, you will need to be at least 16 and preferably older to give your body the best chance of healing your piercing and having it last well. It's better to be patient now than to get a piercing that's never going to heal correctly or that eventually gives you trouble as you grow.

Source(s): body piercing apprentice

Industrial Piercing Age Requirement

At your age you won't be able to get it pierced without parental consent. It's different for all studios as piercing ages are down to the discretion of the piercer but some studio will be fine with doing this piercing at 16 without consent, others may be 18.

It depends on what state you're in. In Illinois, you can't get any piercing done without a parent present if you're under eighteen. Calling the shop that you want to get it done at and asking is probably your best course of action.

16 is probably right for it WITH parents there. Other than that I would say most places will only so it if you are 18. Good luck. What are you getting exactly?

16 with parental consent. (And sometimes a photo ID)

18 to get it done by yourself.

Good luck! :)

I got mine one week ago and I'm fourteen. I don't think age matters as much as you'd think rather than the level of responsibility of the person.