Bridge to Nowhere...Angry Alaskans?

This is quoted from a news article. It is not my quote, nor do I state my opinions. However, I am curious as to what others think of this picture. Thank you for your respectable, well thought-out replies.

"When she was running for governor in 2006, Palin said she was insulted by the term "bridge to nowhere," according to Ketchikan Mayor Bob Weinstein, a Democrat, and Mike Elerding, a Republican who was Palin's campaign coordinator in the southeast Alaska city.

"People are learning that she pandered to us by saying, I'm for this' ... and then when she found it was politically advantageous for her nationally, abruptly she starts using the very term that she said was insulting," Weinstein said.

Palin's spokeswoman in Alaska was not immediately available to comment.

National fury over the bridge caused Congress to remove the earmark designation, but Alaska was still granted an equivalent amount of transportation money to be used at its own discretion.

Last year, Palin announced she was stopping state work on the controversial project, earning her admirers from earmark critics and budget hawks from around the nation. The move also thrust her into the spotlight as a reform-minded newcomer.

The state, however, never gave back any of the money that was originally earmarked for the Gravina Island bridge, said Weinstein and Elerding.

In fact, the Palin administration has spent "tens of millions of dollars" in federal funds to start building a road on Gravina Island that is supposed to link up to the yet-to-be-built bridge, Weinstein said."

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20080901/pl_nm/usa_poli...

Favorite Answer

Thank you for posting this - I think that it's nice to see the truth for a change!!

BTW, Palin is also under investigation for corruption. Something about trying to get an ex-brother-in-law fired as a police officer? Sounds like abuse of power.

I don't give a crap about her personal life or which designer dress she's wearing - I've looked at her history, experience and qualifications for the VP position and she is not the best candidate.

Don't forget, her "executive experience" comes from being a mayor in a town of 9,000, and her "foreign policies" experience is credited to the fact that Alaska is kinda close to Russia.

I live in Ohio, which is bordered by Lake Erie, which puts me in close proximity to Canada. Does that mean I can start putting "international relations" on my job resume?? The job market really sucks around here, so that would be a terrific way to boost my chances of a better job! Maybe then I could quit worrying about my farm being foreclosed on. Do I sound bitter?

I'm glad Canada's on the other side of the lake, because if McCain is elected, I am renouncing my citizenship and moving there.

• Check out this blog with a clearer documentation and timeline of events regarding this at:

http://www.floppingaces.net/2008/08/31/palins-brid...

It is good that you question what the so-called "news" reports because it is often not completely accurate.

But way before that, Bill Proxmire would announce annual Golden Fleece awards for federal spending on idiotic projects

Cheney lite and Bush lite get together once more to try and destroy the American dream. They mock hope they call themselves reformers but THEY ARE NOTHING!

Here's something republicans we're not scared of your Palin idol you should be scared of us. We're tired of you guys we're tired of your propaganda machine and we're not going to allow you guys to run things any more.

Understand this if your candidate wins you will lose in more ways than you can possibly dream.

you know angry people are just too easy to find

i want to hear from the people who wanted the bridge

" we got a bridge going no where and it costing you all millions "

but then again i want to hear about the people who are happy about sticking their grandchildren with trillions of dollars of debt

that is true neglect and child abuse

• Sounds like more of McCain..

oppps.. Sounds like more of the Same.

Source(s): rofl

i think it would of been a wast of money. i think alaska is like the u.s. goverment speading money on dumb things we dont need

Didn't she totally flip-flop on that? What a white knight.