bb

Do Japanese kids read American comics?

I'm American and I read both and I was wondering if it's the same in Japan

Best Answer

Yes, Japanese kids read American comics but only a few of them do maybe because of the following factors:

1. Language. Hardly, most (not all) American comics never get translated to Japanese, and most Japanese kids are not that adept in reading English, which is in contrast to Manga which is translated to English by media companies (and fans) and made available to readers.

2. Competition. In a usual Japanese comic book store you will see a plethora of Manga (even bible-thick ones), so if ever there will be an American Comic there it would be hardly noticed unless someone really sought to have a copy of it.

3. Culture. Japanese kids will likely to read Manga over American comics because they are much more accustomed to the style and art of Manga, as the latter is created or intended to be read by them. The "feel" of American comics is still something for them to be accustomed to.

But, some Japanese (young and old) read American comics. They admire it's art and story. You will notice that some Manga authors pay homage to their favorite American Hero or comics, (like Masakazu Katsura who inserts cameos of Batman in his manga). Some people in the comic and manga industry would say that Manga and American comics tend to influence each other. Just think that Osamu Tezuka, the one coined as "God of Manga" is influenced by American comics such as Betty Boop or Felix the cat. So, in conclusion, I would say, Japanese kids do read American comics, but not as much as American readers (or any foreign reader) do.

Source(s): 16 years of watching and reading anime and manga, respectively.
  • Out of 10 Japanese, only 1 read American comics while the others only prefer to read manga. This is because there's a lot variety of manga in Japan they can choose from while American comics only sold in certain shops with only limited title.

Source(s): Been to Japan and have Japanese friends

Well, I'm guessing some Japanese kids take interest in american comics and some don't.

• It all depends on the individual but of course!!!

I mean a lot of their population listens to american music so why wouldn't some of them read american comics?

Although I think there is a higher percentage of americans that read japenese manga not the other way around.

Probably, Americans read Japanese so why not the other way around. I just hope they know they read them from the front to the back instead of opposite! :)

If they like the comic they are reading. I have a japanese friend, and she doesn't read english books.

why would they read our comics when they have their own? Japan has amazing comics, we just try to copy them, resulting in pretty bad imitations. if i was from Japan, i wouldn't even touch American comics. but that's just me.

like they can read american?

it would be funny, but, who in the world hasnt red superman or batman at least once?

most probably they don't...most japanese comics are much better than american..why should they waste time?