Making bacon healthier?

If you peel the strips of fat off of striped bacon, is what you're left with (the "rind," I believe it's called) nutritionally similar to Canadian bacon (high in protein, B6, etc. and low in fat)? I'm thinking about putting some bacon pieces in a healthy recipe, but I have only the striped bacon in my fridge. Am I better off just leaving the bacon out if I want a healthy recipe?

Favorite Answer

Trim off the rind, the outer edge and grill (broil) on a rack in a pan. Most of the fat will drip out into the pan.

• kitch

If you strip the bacon of the fat, you won't have much of anything left. The meat would be tough and dry. Fat is also flavor. About the healthiest way to have bacon is first to find the leanest bacon you can or buy turkey bacon. Cook it in the oven on a wire rack on a baking sheet at 400 degrees for about 10 minutes or until the desired doneness and then pat with paper towels.

Part of the problem with bacon is the nitrates - I recently found some at the local Target Greatland with nitrates. It tasts great! You can cut down on the fat by broiling it on a rack over a cookie sheet.

Good luck!