Which would you rather have "tax relief" or "tax cuts"?

The term tax relief refers to tax breaks and write-offs that reduce the amount of tax due or otherwise provide concessions for taxpayers. Citizens may or may not qualify for tax relief.

A tax cut is a reduction in the rate of tax imposed by a government thereby reducing what the citizen pays.

Favorite Answer

If you're implying that tax cuts necessarily apply to *everybody,* while tax relief targets only some of the people, that sounds like an unusual definition to me. Certainly I've heard of tax cuts for a specific portion of the population.

In any case, I'm certainly not in favor of across-the-board cuts, because that deprives government of an opportunity to set priorities and redress wrongs. Right now, for example, it seems like we cannot afford to cut everybody's income tax, but we can cut taxes for the poor and middle class. Many think it's important to do so.

I wouldn't be in a hurry to cut taxes, say, on cigarettes, because those taxes not only bring in revenue, but encourage people to live a healthier life style. I wouldn't cut gasoline taxes, because they encourage conservation and energy independence. I'm always in favor of eliminating sales tax, because it's obviously regressive.

One can argue, as some do, that taxation is meant simply to raise revenue, and should not be used to redistribute income or change behavior. However, that sort of thinking is simplistic and naive. The fact is, taxation *necessarily* redistributes income and changes behavior. All we can do is adjust the direction and degree of change. As responsible citizens, we should use our values and judgment to set priorities, rather than letting them be set by the privileged few.

Tax Relief... I dont make 250,000 a year, so I qualify

Dems 08

• KMcG

Neither, go to Fairtax.org

tax increase!

we have to raise taxes!