promotion image of download ymail app
Promoted
Anonymous
Anonymous asked in SportsMartial Arts · 1 decade ago

katana sword question?

ok i am going to buy a new katana sword and i have many questions cuz all my life i was training wushu and kung fu and i never used this weapon. so first how many kinds japanese swords and what are they and whats the best length of a sword, i am 6" if you ask. and does all swords even the unshaped ones have to be cleaned and does you have to unsheathe the sword to clean it or there is any other new way to clean it and what could happen to the sword if i didn't clean it but also didn't use it. and who are the best sword makers and where can i buy a good sword up to 200 $. and is there any online places or lessons to learn just the basics of the katana or i have to go to a master.

6 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

Varieties of Japanese sword that I can think of off the top of my head:

Ken, tachi, katana (daito), wakizashi (shoto), odachi, shinobigatana, gunto (WWII era army daito. Pretty much a daito or tachi, but tend to have a more cavalry saber like appearance).

At 6 feet, you're taller than the average Japanese. But length, contrary to popular insistence, is more a matter of preference than any set rule. Many tall kenjutsu experts favor the maneuverability of shorter blades, while many shorter experts prefer the reach of a longer blade.

If you don't clean and oil it regularly, even in shirasaya, it will rust. Yes, you must remove it from saya to clean it. And yes, unsharpened ones are metal as well, and have the same problems. The best sword makers are Japanese traditionalists, generally having earned the title of living national treasure, and many winning the Masamune Prize. However, decent swordmakers for around $200 would be forges like Cheness ( http://www.chenessinc.com/ ).

And no, you can't learn the basics online. You'll need to find an instructor. Do yourself a favor and buy a bokken first if your intent is to learn how to use it. You won't slice your kneecap off practicing with a wooden sword.

• Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

kung fu and wushu as you probably know are Chinese and katana swords are japanese there are many types but first i would say the katana (big one) wakizashi (medium one) and tanto (knife) the best one i would say is between 20 inches in blade length and 30 inches, some think this is small or weak but once you hold it it feels like its as tall as you. Shinwa ,Paul Chen and some traditional makers are the best i know what you want to look for is folded steel real tamahagane and differentially or clay hardened but these qualities are hard to get for 200 bucks and never use ebay its great for other things but not swords, people sell 20 dollar swords for thousand of dollars, if you can ,get a l6 bainite katana there pretty costly but there nearly indestructible, for the training i would say a master is the best way to go and dvd's on kendo are good too.

hope that helps (its everything i know about samurai swords)

god bless =)

Source(s): amateur nihonto maker, years of internet research
  • 1 decade ago

My advice...

Do not buy a sword without first consulting an instructor.

For your height the sword blade should be no longer than 29".

Any decent sword should be cleaned each time it is used.

You cannot get a good sword for $200.

You cannot learn kenjutsu on line. Most of the so called "experts" who have video on line for instruction are incompetent. What many teach is downright dangerous. Some merely laughable.

Find a good dojo nearby and study - after a year or so, you'll know enough to make good decisions about swords.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Katanas come in a variety of lengths, I am also 6' and I like 36" blades personally. I have heard of inserts that can be placed in the top of the sheath to clean the sword as it is drawn out of and replaced into the sheath. Personally I prefer to just take them out and clean them. If they are stored they don't have to be cleaned all that often, but should be taken out and cleaned from time to time.

If you have been studying Chinese martial arts then you should have trained on the broad sword and a katana can be used in all of the same ways and in my opinion is actually a better weapon.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 decade ago

The Katana is the best weapon on this planet in my opinion. It needs to be oiled, your height cant determine your sword length, test out a bokken or bambo sword, then make your purchase based on practice with a wooden sword. Good luck.

Source(s): i know battojutsu
  • 1 decade ago

the katana is the best sword... not weopon but any how go 42 inch if you got the manhood for it.... everyone has a style no matter how unusual and i prefer longer blades... go carbon steel very sharp they use it for surgery as well

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.