What on earth did the end of 2001 A Space Odyssey mean?

Just watched it again, first time i was very young and dont really remember anything other than the pretty pictures and the apes! But what the **** was that ending all about? I wanted to see Jupiter!

Favorite Answer

I think that in the end, Bowman goes through a time space transport(Einstein Rosen-Bridge) of some kind, much like the one in the film Contact. Once at the destination it shows the end of his life as a human and the beginning of his life as a new life form, the star child, like the one the other guy was mentioning. The fact that he is looking at himself as the old man and the infant I'm still working on. I think it was meant to try to break down own our ideas of time and space as well as spirituality and show how one soul can be in different places at the same time or even in different times.

The meaning reveals itself in the context.

2001's pace is purposely slow. Man emerges as a species slowly, over tens of thousands of years, man explores the stars slowly and ACTUAL space travel is very slow. The deliberately mannered tempo of the first 90% of the film reflects the unhurried pace of man's progress.

Dave's passage through the star gate is the only time 2001 really breaks loose: a passage meant to imply that the evolution of humankind was about to take a quantum leap forward, courtesy of the monolith.

The monoliths take the human race through each of its next radical jumps in evolution. The last monlith took David from human to the next stage in human evolution...the first Star Child.

The Star Child is basically Zarathustra...the Superman, the Ubermensch, the next step in human evolution. Which explains Kubrick's use of the Strauss score (Also Sprach Zarathustra) in the film.

Source(s): Watched the film.

David Bowman ends up being transported to meet the aliens who built the monoliths. They observe him long enough to get an idea of what human beings are like, and then they send a Bowman look-alike/clone back to observe Earth.

EDIT - I like twangler's answer! But the thumbs-down troll can go soak his head in liquid helium, or stick a pod in his aft docking bay. :-P

It makes a little more sense if you see 2010. I think they sent him back, basically reincarnated him, so he would not remember anything. There are those who will tell you it has some deep mystical meaning. I think you just have to take it at face value.

That's the worst movie I've ever seen in my life. I didn't understand anything that happened and I don't want to. Ugh!!