What filter cuts down overexposure/glare from sun?

I have a FinePix S5700/S500 that I love. It has threading to mount filters and pretty decent manual controls. But I'm editing some pictures I took over the weekend and hoo boy. This camera does not get along well with bright sunlight. I mean, moreso than other cameras I've had, it seems. There's no middle ground on these between "shooting through volcanic ashfall" murky and "OW MY EYES!" bright. The unedited images just *glow*.

I have a polarizer and a UV filter that help a little sometimes depending on the light. I was chatting with a friend a while ago and he told me that there was a lens that cut down glare, but I can't remember what it is. There's a skylight glass lens at the camera store I've been eying, but I don't think that's it.

So, I suppose, two questions: Which lens cuts down on sun glare, and if it isn't the skylight one, what does that do?

Favorite Answer

A skylight filter only cuts down on UV light to help reduce distant haze. It's effect is so subtle it's more often than not unnoticeable. So, that's not what you're looking for. Also, while a polarizer will help some, it's not going to help balance out a very bright sky with the foreground as it works across the entire image. More importantly, it does nothing at all when the camera is pointed towards the sun.

What I THINK you mean is a graduated filter, which has one side clear and the other dark. The color can be gray, brown, blue, orange, etc. To use it you put the dark side on top, and it will decrease the exposure to the sky (and the sun) helping to match it more closely with the foreground. Not only do they come in different colors for different looks, but they also come in different densities, anything from 1 to 3 stops. A two-stop filter is a good compromise.

Here's a good resource:

http://www.great-landscape-photography.com/graduat...

Flare and glare happen because of light scattering or reflecting off lens surfaces. Filters tend to be of little help and may add to the problem, by providing a couple more surfaces to bounce light off of. Good control of these problems requires a lens with excellent coatings and baffling. With a given lens, you can reduce the problem by using a lens hood, or shielding the lens from direct sunlight with your hand.There's not a lot you can do in cases where the sun is in the picture, though shooting at smaller apertures may help.

A dirty lens may add to the problem, too. Claeaning the lens may help some, but be sure you know what you're doing - improper cleaning can permanently damage your lens or camera.

normally a polarizer should help but you may have to change the orientation of the polarizing lens. Take a few images where you change the orientation and see if that helps.

Your description sounds more like there is something wrong with the exposure control though. It might not measure the light accurately or you might have put it on some odd setting which causes that. Choosing a really slow film speed (e.g. 600) might contribute. Does it make a difference if you set it to 50 or 100?

I wonder if your polarizer is a circular one. The polarizer function is to cut down glare and make skies looks nicer but you have to rotate it.

Other thing you can do is reduce the ISO on your camera as much as possible and try again. To see this effect (experiment) set the camera on manual and the Shutter to /125 and f-stop to 8 and start snaping pictures of the same landscape at ISO 800 and then reduce it to ISO 400, 200, 100...

When you download the pictures you'll notice what I'm talking about

Good luck!

Maybe you need to lower the film speed (ISO) setting, or adjust the aperture and shutter speed settings to get a better exposure.

Polarizing filters are pretty good and increasing the contrast or a skylight filter may help but it sounds more like a setting problem. Were you using the manual settings or auto?

• Jane

Most lotion contain the same ingredients as conditioners. Just rub some in your hands like normal, and before it is all the way rubbed in, gently go over your hair with it. Gel also works really well. Just rub some between your hands, and GENTLY run your hands over the frizzy spots.