What filter cuts down overexposure/glare from sun?

I have a FinePix S5700/S500 that I love. It has threading to mount filters and pretty decent manual controls. But I'm editing some pictures I took over the weekend and hoo boy. This camera does not get along well with bright sunlight. I mean, moreso than other cameras I've had, it seems. There's no middle ground on... show more I have a FinePix S5700/S500 that I love. It has threading to mount filters and pretty decent manual controls. But I'm editing some pictures I took over the weekend and hoo boy. This camera does not get along well with bright sunlight. I mean, moreso than other cameras I've had, it seems. There's no middle ground on these between "shooting through volcanic ashfall" murky and "OW MY EYES!" bright. The unedited images just *glow*.

I have a polarizer and a UV filter that help a little sometimes depending on the light. I was chatting with a friend a while ago and he told me that there was a lens that cut down glare, but I can't remember what it is. There's a skylight glass lens at the camera store I've been eying, but I don't think that's it.

So, I suppose, two questions: Which lens cuts down on sun glare, and if it isn't the skylight one, what does that do?