Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Business & FinanceCorporations · 1 decade ago

What's the difference between an principal, owner, president, and CEO?

...and which should be my job title?

I've started a software-based research company by myself that I've recently formed into an LLC. I currently have no employees under me (but will within a year's time, hopefully), and my target market are other organizations. Because of this, it's important that I portray a professional image, which is why I thought putting "President/CEO" on my card would look best. BUT, I don't know if "owner" would be more appropriate.

Any feedback is appreciated!

Best Answer

As a non public corporation (as I assume you haven't issued any stock) you hold the office of President. CEO is a title normally reserved for the highest ranking executive in a publicly traded corporation. Not all CEO's are owners however. The title owner and the title principal mean the same thing. Although a principal isn't always 100% owner but at a minimum is the majority owner. What this all boils down to, is that your most appropriate title is President. Good luck to you!!

• marrin

Principal Owner

Principal Of A Company

RE:

...and which should be my job title?

I've started a software-based research company by myself that I've recently formed into an LLC. I currently have no employees under me (but will within a year's time, hopefully), and my target market are other organizations. Because of this, it's important...

Source(s): difference principal owner president ceo: https://trimurl.im/a73/what-s-the-difference-betwe...

President/CEO is just fine. CEO is not just for publicly traded companies. I work for a company that is wholly owned by privately held firm. The controlling stockholder's title is Chairman of the Board. Reporting to the Board is the CEO who overseas the Presidents of the several companies owned by the firm, including my employer. The President title suggests the top operating manager, while the CEO states the person as an officer of the company. A President may not necessarily be a company officer, particularly in corporations that have numerous divisions. But as you fill both those roles in your small firm, President/CEO suits your position.

• Jane

For the best answers, search on this site https://shorturl.im/HFUaD

You could technically be called the president or the owner of this business, if you are the only one funding it. CEO, aka Senior Executive Officer (don't ask why it's not SEO) is usually the person chosen to run the business although its owned by share holders. Principal's just run schools i guess.

And if you are a douche bag like Mr. Anonymous then you can just put "anonymous" because you don't have a company, you are living in your basement UNLIKE Joe the Plumber and you are just a loser.

None LLC or Inc. and I think you just use owner.

If your like Anonymous, then you can walk around with the feeling that you're always the smartest guy in the room....how's that liberal progressive approach to world affairs been treating you lately?...EGOTIST!

if your like Joe the Plumber, then you need to put owner or welfare recipient, otherwise go for president it just sounds better