Yahoo Answers is shutting down on May 4th, 2021 (Eastern Time) and the Yahoo Answers website is now in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

Matrix
Matrix asked in SportsAuto RacingFormula One · 1 decade ago

Why do people hate Lewis Hamilton so much?

Is the British media that bad, or is it due to other reasons. I live in the States so there is no hype here about him or any other F1 driver.

Favorite Answer

I like him. I've had the opportunity to listen first hand to a few of his interviews and he is not at all arrogant. the problem is the british press and other medias just talk about lewis lewis lewis. It is a bit like overkill. there are other British drivers who seem to be forgotten and that puts a lot of peoples backs up. also there seems to be a bit of a 'build him up to watch him fall' mentality. often his words are taken out of context and sensationalised.

anyway not all Brits hate him, you should have seen the turn out at Brands Hatch last week because he was there!!!!!

(it would be interesting to see if his interview then was edited)

He has a side to him a lot of people cant see,if you look and listen carefully you can see deep down he has a real nasty side,he has obviously been told to reign in his true self so the English public will love him. If things don't go his way his arrogant side shows up in his interviews,example,answering questions with his drinking straw in his mouth probably to give his something to chew on to try and calm his rage. He will let this slip sooner or later and then this Daddies boy will be seen for what he is and as ive said before, the Lewis loonies will have to accept him for what he is,a nasty wee English person and a Ron Denis puppet.

.

I don't live in the UK although i am British, so again, i also don't have to put up with 'sensations' bandied about by the media there.

I think there are probably a number of factors as to why he's disliked by some.

Media hype.

MS fans, not wanting attention drawn from their hero.

Ferrari fans not wanting McLaren to take their limelight.

Jealousy. Young guy with a huge gift and a fantastic future.

His slightly more colourful appearance, sadly.

.

It's probably because he is the F1 driver with most coverage. YOu can't go anywhere without seeing or hearing about him. Then some dislike him because of his interview content. It may seem like bragging, trumpet blowing or whatever to some. And sometimes it just feels too rehearsed

i dont like him very much. i think its because he comes off kind of cocky. He's always like "aww the car was fantaaaastic, fantaaaastic job everyone" in his accent and its annoying. And also it makes me so angry when Raikkonen or Massa or someone is on provisional pole in Q3, and Hamilton is the last guy to cross the line at the end, and he takes pole by a .5 seconds and im just like, "wtf, what a little cheater" hahaha. Don't get me wrong, i have to admit, he's probably the next star in F1 in this decade. He'll probably be world champion one day. He could be the next Michael Schumacher and people dont like that or want to admit it. Thats why they probably dont like him

I don't particularly like him because he talks like he's rehearsed his speech. Its like "God Ron Dennis" is putting words in his mouth...trying to be politically correct in everything he says or does.

I also don't like McLaren and I guess that compounds my judgement against him. Come on Frank Williams...time to get your act together...

Also the fact that the "English" commentators on Star Sports rant and rave about everything he does....his mistakes are never his...if he makes one.

As a driver though....I'm impressed.

• BigSis

I think he's brilliant. We're Brits who live abroad and we're only too pleased to see him do well. Like you, not living in the UK makes us miss out on all the bad press he's obviously getting and for that I'm glad.

I think people might be jealous. He almost got the title after just ONE season! Particularly the Alonso fans hate him :-)

• 3ut

simple!!!-

RAIKKONEN FANS+ALONSO FANS+MASSA FANS+OTHER FANS >>>>(more than) HAMILTON FANS...

so there are more hamilton haters....

and to be honest he gave tough time to these guys(kimi,massa,alonso) in 2007 and is still giving and fans(of kimi,massa,alonso) dont like this...as simple as that..........like most Raikkonen fans dont like alonso and vice versa!!!......

also he's a bit tooooooooooo much politically correct and diplomatic!!

if my answer looks like am an Lewis fan..... i would say-NO.. i ain't as diplomatic...

bceause he is the next big thing that will flirt with MS's record