Why does Philadelphia suck so much?

I was born & raised here (hated it back then). I feel like killing myself every time I visit this city! My Mom lives in Strawberry Mansion, and I'm trying to get her to move out west with me! Would it hurt black people here to clean up & take care of their neighborhoods???!

I never said only the black 'hoods were dirty. That's just the one i'm concerned with. I shouln't have to educate anyone. I recieved the same public school education as everyone else here.

Favorite Answer

Here are some responses to your question, just know that they are not my responses or feelings. I just found them thought provoking and funny.

***Philadelphia, in short, is a pesthole seething with overdrawn accents and dietary conundrums; a place where no self-respecting person would abide unless it were either a matter of unfortunate temporary necessity, incarceration or Down's Syndrome gone wild. (The latter covers 90% of the population). The streets are filthy, the inhabitants are a pasty group of globally uninformed fat trolls, the sidewalks are littered with the dregs of human existence, passed-out on steam grates for warmth, and the climate is depressing. Everything is covered with a layer of grime.

***My pessimistic outlook of the Philadelphia area was a reaction to the sociology of the people. I have never realized that people can be the way they are in that state. I've never seen so many groups of people with so many social problems. I didn't meet a single person in Philadelphia that seemed normal to me. Most of the people in Philadelphia have very serious problems with their relationships, alcohol, illicit drugs and bad behaviors. I met the rudest, most psychologically flawed people I've ever socialized with. I've traveled all over the world and I've dealt with various levels of society. Philadelphia and Pennsylvania are a state of poor individuals both mentally and socially. What a horrible place to live and base your upbringing on.

Source(s): I live in Philly, and it does have its problems, but it doesn't "suck".
  • Violet

That's good sweetheart. Pile on now while you can because the Eagles never stay down for long. It happens to the best of them. The Colts and Pats took their lumps before they got good too. I wouldn't get too cocky about your Giants yet either. It's week 10 not week 17. If I recall, Big Blue started off 6-2 last year only to finish with a stellar 8-8 record, missing the playoffs. Also, last time I checked, they aren't even in first place. That would belong to the Dallas Cowboys. So if your team loses to them tomorrow, and with your boy Burress most likely out of the game, they very well may....that would make them 2 games back and they also still have to play @ Detroit, @ Chicago, @ Philadelphia and home against Minnesota, Washington, Buffalo and the Patriots. They'll probably go in the tank like they usually do and finish 8-8 or 9-7 and get bounced out in the first round of the playoffs. Oh well, better luck next year. You're right, I was thinking that was 2 years ago when the Eagles beat them in the playoffs but it was last year. My main point was that the same thing could easily happen this year. Don't get too cocky when half the season still has to be played. As bad as the Eagles are playing, the Giants still might not even beat them when they play in a few weeks at The Linc. It might be Kevin Kolb time by then and he may spark the Birds to a win, especially if they have a chance to help ruin the Giants season.

The reason it sucks so much is because everyone from the Mayor on down over the last several years has basically not given a flying you know what about the quality of life here. Those who cared most or had a voice were either fed up and left or ignored. It starts with parents, parenting...like pretty much everything else and until the cycle is broken it'll continue.

The era of a new mayor and government can hopefully change some things.

I know, moved to Port Richmond 5 years ago. (most affordable housing closest to Center City). The parenting here (or lack of it) is appalling....though it's improving a bit because many of the low-lifes have been priced out.

There are plenty of nice diverse areas. Mount Airy, West Oak Lane, East Falls, Roxborough and even parts of Germantown are very nice communities. Of course all of these neighborhoods have some problems and some random crime, but overall they are pretty safe and have a strong sense of neighborhood and community. You just have to stay away from the areas in North Philly, West Philly and the Northeast where there is a lot of unemployment (voluntary and involuntary).

This Site Might Help You.

RE:

Why does Philadelphia suck so much?

Source(s): philadelphia suck much: https://biturl.im/0mqrq

I used to live in Strawberry Mansion at 32nd & Diamond and attended Blaine and Stokley schools--I only know S.M. as it was then. I used to love feeding the squirrels and walking around the reservoir. On Rosh Ha-shannah the Jews had the custom of going up to the reservoir and throwing bread to the fish they knew weren't really there, and I could tell you stories about Ridge Avenue and Natrona Street where my grandma lived, on the other side of what used to be a synagogue. My mom would fix lunch and take me from school to the park where we'd have a picnic. I can name every store on 31st Street when herring still came in barrels!

I LIVED IN PHILLY FOR 5 YEARS!! I CAME WITH A FEELING OF HOPE, BUT LEFT WITH A FEELING OF DISGUST!!! The people are rude and always passing gas!!! I guess that's what happens when someone is "full of ****"! This town is more like the CITY OF THE (F)ARTS

Uh, sis. This isn't a blog..

The city in general is dirty, not just the "black" neighborhoods. Frankford is mainly white and dirty. The east side of broad st is hispanic and dirty. Obviously you're an ignorant person because every big city has its "bad" sections. Its poverty stricken areas. Instead of dissing the city, won't you do something to better it. Educate the people of these areas to maintain their communities better. If you keep moving, the problem is just going to spread.

Sorry, I have nothing insightful regarding this question

• silvia

Great topic, just what I was looking for.