What is and what causes leukemia?

A member of my family has leukemia,so now everyone in my family has questions about leukemia.

Like what is leukemia,What are the treatment options,And what causes leukemia.

The doctor said that the person in my family either gets chemo or dies.But we still want too know what it is. And any information about it would be helpful.

Favorite Answer

Leukemia(of which there are many types) is a cancer of the bone marrow. The bone marrow is where your blood cells are formed. When a runaway cancer cell invades this area of your body this causes leukemia. My doctor described the type that I have a an army running too and fro and running wild. This in turn causes your good and bad blood cells to go to almost non existant levels I broke my leg standing up because my liver wasn't absorbing calcium,had blood cysts come up and then my heart was so tired I could not walk 2 blocks without getting tired. The final thing that led them to my leukemia was a migraine headache that would not go away. I had the apl form of aml leukemia. It is a hard road to go but there are cures for this. First of all if you believe in God and then if you get to the leukemia in time. I just went back for my last time to the Doctor. I have been in remission for 13 months now and I am so blessed. I will be praying for your family member as well as your family. Miracles do Happen. Keep the faith. I died 3 times and on the 3rd day after I died for the 3rd time I still got up and walked out of the hospital. Good Luck and God bless.

Source(s): personal experiencve

Leukemia is a type of cancer usually associated with children that affects cells in your blood. Most of the time, although not always, leukemia affects the white blood cells. The disease starts in the bone marrow before spreading to other parts of the body. Leukemia is generally described as either acute leukemia (fast-growing) or chronic leukemia (slower-growing). The latter type of leukemia is most often found in children.

The types of leukaemia are:

Acute Myelogenous (granulocytic) Leukemia (AML)

Chronic Myelogenous (granulocytic) Leukemia (CML)

Acute Lymphocytic (lymphoblastic) Leukemia (ALL)

Chronic Lymphocytic Leukemia (CLL)

Treatment: Chemotherapy and possibly stem cell transplant

We don't know what causes leukaemia, but research is going on all the time to try and find the answer.

Young people with certain rare genetic conditions, like Down's Syndrome or Li-Fraumeni Syndrome, are at an increased risk of getting Leukaemia compared to the general population. A genetic condition is something you are born with.

There are a few non-cancerous conditions, such as aplastic anaemia or myelodysplastic syndromes, that may also increase the risk of developing Leukaemia.

I am sorry about your relative. I hope that (s)he will be ok, and I hope this info helps you and your family.

• Sharon

For the best answers, search on this site https://smarturl.im/aDG2g

No. Leukemia is a form of cancer, which is caused by genetic mutations in certain cells in your body. Not sleeping cannot cause these mutations (NOTE: by mutations, we do not mean you'll turn into a ninja turtle or something crazy...it just means the structures for replication of DNA become improperly altered and replication essentially runs wild instead of being a limited process) However, you should listen to your mom and get to sleep because it can cause other health issues by weakening your immune system and therefore making you more vulnerable to disease.

What Causes Lukemia