help with learning Spanish! (dyslexia)?

i take Spanish 1 in high school, and my teacher gave us a list of Spanish words to memorize. i have a learning disorder called dyslexia and it is hard for me to match words with their meanings. for example, we just recently had a quiz where the teacher said some words out loud and we had to write them down, but i was absolutely blank until i saw the words written down. i study it pretty much every day and understand it on paper, but i can't seem to understand it verbally

so i was wondering if somebody has any tricks to help me learn Spanish words and know their meanings.

if i could i would drop this class but we need 2 years of a language in order to graduate. plus i am pretty devoted to my work because i have made honors last year (also making varsity in some sports).

thank you for listening! : ]

Favorite Answer

Is the teacher aware of your dyslexia?

Is the school doing anything to support you, with accommodations in the classroom?

Here is some tips I use for my students, there is also some information for teachers, these helped my daughter through school and as I said use them for my students.

For the student with dyslexia

Keep a dictionary on hand to check words that we don't know or new words, and write them down in a notebook to help remember them.

Spelling tips

Have a list of the most 100 commonly misspelt words.

Including spelling rules such as I before E except after C, and Homophones is handy too, as it is not unusual to confuse similar sounding words such weather/ whether. I laminate them.

Learn the letters of the alphabet using bright coloured magnetic letters, and learn their placement in the alphabet, and their sounds and practice spelling basic words. (For the younger student)

Spelling mistakes, if you’re unsure of the correct spelling, underline or circle the word, (especially if hand writing) so the teacher knows your unsure if the word is spelt correctly. Also keep a copy of the most common spelling mistakes, with you at all times.

Ask teachers to write each paragraph in different colours, so students can keep track of were they are if copying from the board. (Some teachers were more than happy to do this, other not so).

Class handouts to be on coloured paper, for my daughter and I its a cream or buff colour (you will have to experiment with colours).

For reading, try different coloured overlays, to see if it makes reading easier. When reading take your time, and don't feel pressured into reading a loud to others if your not comfortable, then don't read out loud. However do practice reading a loud when your alone, so you gain some self-confidence, and you can listen to the sound of the words.

Assignments/homework from teachers etc need to be well defined and in point form, for ease of understanding for the student and their parent to understand.

Assignments always start on assignments as soon as possible NEVER LEAVE IT TILL THE LAST MINUTE. Most teachers are happy to check on your progress if you ask.

Don't be afraid to ask for an extension on assignments, but only when you have to (don't make a habit of it).

Where possible use a computer to do assignments etc, ensuring we use spell check to keep spelling mistakes in check.

Dragon Naturally Speaking is an excellent computer program which does word processing, and uses speech recognition, that allows you to dictate your work.

When doing tests/exams, ask if your allowed to take note paper in with you, if its a multi choice test, ask if you can mark the question sheet, this helps by crossing out the incorrect answers, usually leaving you one or two possible answers. Or you can ask for a verbal exam is done.

Teaching tips for dyslexic students

When writing on the board and students are to copy into the books, write each paragraph in a different colour, this helps the students keep track of where they are up to.

Assignments guidelines to printed on coloured paper, and be in point form for the student to understand. Comic Sans and size 14 are ideal. Also class notes and handouts to be on coloured paper too.

Extra time for assignments if needed, but never let them use it as an excuse for every assignment. Also accept a draft so you can keep a track of where they are up to, and steer them in the right direction if needed. Let them hand in assignments typed with hand written notes/work as proof of ownership.

Avoid asking the student to read aloud in the class, as this is very distressing, embarrassing and demoralizing.

Exams of test give extra time to complete or organize to do a verbal test.

Dyslexic friendly fonts is Comic Sans Ms, letters are well formed and it does not have that stupid upside down "a".

Avoid giving spelling tests to dyslexic students, as they very rarely pass. What you can do is give them the list, and have them write the words into a notebook, and find the word in the dictionary to learn the meaning of the word.

Tests and exams, if multi choice allow student to mark the sheet, crossing out the incorrect answers. Or do a verbal test

If teaching younger children use bright coloured magnetic alphabet to teach the students letter placement. That is where they belong in the alphabet.

Teaching phonics will also help in spelling and pronunciation of letters and words.

the links below also have some good information on how to support the dyslexic student, so it might be worth printing some it off and giving to the school to better support you.

Good luck and sorry my reply is long

Source(s): Youth & Disability support worker and sessional teacher. My daughter and I have dyslexia, and always failed spelling tests because we could not visualize the word, when my daughter was at school we tried different tactics to help her learn, she still failed spelling. And I can't imagine how hard it is with Spanish or any other language (I did try French and that was hard enough). http://www.dyslexia.com/library/classroom.htm http://www.dyslexia-teacher.com/ http://www.dyslexia-parent.com/

These days you can learn how to speak Spanish over the internet. Check out this online course, it's voted as the best Spanish online course of all time: http://www.rocketlearner.com/spanish The course is very easy to follow, I was able to learn Spanish in just 3 months.

I live in New York City, I wanted to go to a Spanish language teacher but that would have cost me over $800 per month. Good thing with this internet, $800 it's a lot of money for me.

contact the disability services office..they can formalize and help identify better accommodations some colleges allow you to substituts a spanish culture or histiry course or ASL maybe they will let you take french (or another language) 101 maybe you can be allowed to use a word bank...words in spanish only...and a study guide for verbs on tests..dyslexia may make spelling very hard-- they can not take off for spelling--or have you correct the spelling to imporve your grade at my college we were able to audit a course-meaning we only had to pass--we wouldn't get an actual grade--so a D didn't matter..i thin we were allowed 2 courses

Do you want to make finding out Spanish funny? Then you must try this course from here https://tr.im/G2lTf one of the languages of Rocket Languages.

The dialogues and lessons from this program are presented in a humorous and fascinating way and not like Rocket’s competitors; they don’t use a cookie cutter strategy (in other phrases the material is distinctive).

Members from Rocket Languages have entry to a learner’s forum for the specified language as effectively as a basic forum for everyone. This is a great attribute to have considering that it enables folks to request for clarification and engage with one an additional especially since native speakers are actively moderating the forum.

Rocket Languages is the very best online course of Spanish.

If you intend to show your youngster to learn that https://tr.im/08MsW is the easiest way, Children Learning Reading program.

Children Learning Reading is a learning plan that tries to successfully show young ones to read in small, digestible 15 minute lessons. Children Learning Reading has an excellent popularity and is simple to use.

Children Learning Reading contains powerful instructions and studying activities for kids to make the learning method easier not only for your youngster but in addition for you. The instructions are easy to follow along with, and the matters are reasonable and speak the substance well. If this method labored for so several parents and young ones, then there is undoubtedly about this, it works for your children also!

Usually students with dyslexia do better orally versus written. You would be better off recording the words and then listening to them several times.

Television ruins your brain and makes you bad in university reading and hmmm is interesting and enables you to smarter

• ?

1

Source(s): Teaching Children to Read http://emuy.info/ChildrenLearningReading/?qY6D

I'd read a e book but I need silence and I watch tv set for Big Bang theory family person spongebob funny or movies generally speaking toss me a good book and I'll read it I'm not old a educator or a nerd

• KitKat

a language will offset your dyslexia. find a program that will allow you to immerse yourself in the language -this is the only true way to learn it and become fluent. talk to your teacher, parents, and counselor. there are many volunteer opportunities available that can benefit you in the future.

Do you have an IEP? If so ask them to amend the way you take tests. You can ask tha the BOE changes the test taking method to anyway that suits your learning ways. If you like to write answers down then a written test. If you like verbal tests, then state that.

Good Luck