Anonymous asked in Arts & HumanitiesVisual ArtsDrawing & Illustration · 1 decade ago

What is the graphic or symbol that ends an article in magazines called?

4 Answers

  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

    It doesn't have an especially technical is called an end sign (But it can also be called an end mark, or end of story marker)


    While end signs shouldn't be too obtrusive you can still have fun with these tiny graphics. Try one or a combination of these formatting options when using end signs in your magazine or newsletter design.

    • Many fonts contain simple bullets that can work as end signs.

    • Find creative end signs in dingbat or symbol fonts.

    • Create custom end signs in a graphics program and place the image in the document or turn the image into a digital font (or add it to an existing font).

    • Use simple shapes such as circles, squares, triangles, or stars for end signs.

    • Choose dingbats that echo the theme of the publication, such as camera end signs for a photography magazine or a little car for an automotive-related newsletter.

    • Create a simplified miniature version of the company logo to use for end signs.

    • Use one of the publication's accent colors for the end signs.

    • Align end signs with or slightly above the baseline.

    • Place end signs immediately following the final punctuation of the article.

    • Place end signs flush-right on the last line of the article.

    • Center end signs below the last line of stories.

    Whatever style you choose, be consistent. Use the same end sign throughout a magazine or newsletter design. Not all publications use end signs and not all articles within the same publication need end signs. When short author bios or bylines are placed at the end of articles, they don't usually need end signs. One way or another, it's good to let readers know when the story ends. ◊

  • 1 decade ago

    Aren't they just called end signs? They just show where the end of the article is so that you do not think that there is more to be read.

  • 1 decade ago

    At my magazine, we call it an endbug.

  • 6 years ago

    -30- is standard, IMHO, in search for <<newspaper symbol for end of article!>>

    James T. (Stew) Stewart

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.