How do you open a bank account in US or Canada (or Europe) without going there in person?

I was a student in Canada. I just finished my study and moved back to Hong Kong. I brought along over Cad $15,000 with me. I just opened a bank account today in Hong Kong. I did a little research on the internet and found that bank interest in Hong kong is extremely low (0.01%), comparing to that in Canada (about... show more I was a student in Canada. I just finished my study and moved back to Hong Kong. I brought along over Cad $15,000 with me. I just opened a bank account today in Hong Kong. I did a little research on the internet and found that bank interest in Hong kong is extremely low (0.01%), comparing to that in Canada (about 3%). I have closed all my bank accounts in Canada when I left for Hong Kong. I'm interested in putting my Cad $15,000 in some riskless investment and Canada's term deposit (3%) is just the one I'm looking for. I wonder, since I'm no longer in Canada, is it possible for a foreginer to open a bank account in Canada (or US / Europe, for that matter) and invest my money in their term deposit, without actually going there? How do I do that? Thank you.