Anonymous
Anonymous asked in 社會與文化語言 · 1 decade ago

gel electrophoresis

1. I only use baking soda, agarose, and food coloring to run gel, how

to explain the number of bands and distance of each band for the

result?

2. Can I use my parents' and my blood to test instead of food coloring

without other chemicals?

Thanks a lot!!

Rating
  • Sigma
    Favorite Answer

result?

Answer: The number of bands reflects the variety of composites in the food coloring. For example, if the food coloring has got 3 different ingredients, you should have seen 3 bands on the gel. The distance of each band reflects the molecular weight of each ingredient. The higher the molecular weight, the slower it runs on a gel and vice versa.

without other chemicals?

Answer: Yes, you may do that. The only concern is that you would have to stain the bands after electrophoresis. If you just use the whole blood (serum and blood cells), it won't be easy to stain the bands after electrophoresis. Most likely, you won't get any band at all, because the entire mixture won't run smoothly on the gel. The result would be -- a mirky area without any specific band that can be detected. The blood ( serum or bllod cells) have to be pre-treated with a certain mixture of chemicals before you run it. You may try to find some more information online by typing the keyword --- SDS-PAGE.

Source(s): myself