Yahoo Answers is shutting down on May 4th, 2021 (Eastern Time) and beginning April 20th, 2021 (Eastern Time) the Yahoo Answers website will be in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

Is there any way I can express my thoughts without stumbling/pausing mid-sentence?

This seems to be a recurring problem for me. It seems like unless I'm reading from a script, I have trouble thinking of what to say when I'm expressing an original thought; it's like I'm always backtracking on what I say. For instance, today, I was being interviewed for one of my classes, and when I was answering a question I was asked, I was all over the place (and this isn't a rare thing for me). This is how it went, more or less:

"Well, at around the beginning or the middle of the movie I started falling asleep, but towards the end, I was, well, actually I didn't really fall asleep but I started dozing off to sleep at the start of the movie, and at the end I was asleep--actually, I was awake..."

Something like that. But the whole irony is that I want to get into a career in broadcasting (the class was a radio broadcasting one) and that I have a weekly sports talk show, but I don't know how to help myself from stumbling over my words all the time. Are there any exercises I can do to help reduce this? Or is this just a mental block? Because I'm really self-conscious about this. Hell, I had to go back and change some of the words as I was typing this question.

3 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

you might try reading more books. one a week will retrain your brain in a few months.

• 1 decade ago

Maybe try to speak more slowly and try not to worry about what the other person thinks about. Just focus on your story and tell yourself you're a great speaker.

• Nick
    Lv 5
    1 decade ago

take a fews seconds, vizualize what you want to say, and say it slowly, breath, and keep as focused as you can

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.