Is there any way I can express my thoughts without stumbling/pausing mid-sentence?

This seems to be a recurring problem for me. It seems like unless I'm reading from a script, I have trouble thinking of what to say when I'm expressing an original thought; it's like I'm always backtracking on what I say. For instance, today, I was being interviewed for one of my classes, and when I was answering a question I was asked, I was all over the place (and this isn't a rare thing for me). This is how it went, more or less:

"Well, at around the beginning or the middle of the movie I started falling asleep, but towards the end, I was, well, actually I didn't really fall asleep but I started dozing off to sleep at the start of the movie, and at the end I was asleep--actually, I was awake..."

Something like that. But the whole irony is that I want to get into a career in broadcasting (the class was a radio broadcasting one) and that I have a weekly sports talk show, but I don't know how to help myself from stumbling over my words all the time. Are there any exercises I can do to help reduce this? Or is this just a mental block? Because I'm really self-conscious about this. Hell, I had to go back and change some of the words as I was typing this question.

Favorite Answer

you might try reading more books. one a week will retrain your brain in a few months.

Maybe try to speak more slowly and try not to worry about what the other person thinks about. Just focus on your story and tell yourself you're a great speaker.

• Nick

take a fews seconds, vizualize what you want to say, and say it slowly, breath, and keep as focused as you can