What makes a sci-fi/Apocalypse story unique?

I'm planning on writing a sci-fi, apocalypse/disaster type story, and I would like to know what would make it unique, and what would make it not unique? I want the story to be about the characters lives and how the events that happen in the story effect them. That's a good start, right? Can you give me a list of Do's and Don'ts of science fiction writing?

• Mutly
    Favorite Answer

I'm a huge fan of sci-fi/fanasty books but I'm not 100% sure what qualifies a book as sci-fi versus fanasty or even just futuristic but this website might help with that: http://www.sfwa.org/

The first thing I would suggest doing is figuring out what type of disaster is going to occur and how the survivers manage to survive. It could be any number of things from a nuclear holocaust to a global spread disease to or even just a natural disaster. While these may not be unique by itself you can give any of them your own personal twist.

After you figure that out, decide who your characters and describe in as much as detail as you can think of. Including how they survived. Were they even on the planet when the disaster hit.

As far as the do's and don'ts I would reference you again to the website above but here it is again for emphasis: http://www.sfwa.org/

The other thing I would suggest is to read up on the genre. Find a few sci-fi books that deal with the end of the world type situations that way you can see what has already done. But also so you can see the type or writing.

The other thing to think about is your intended audience. Or you going to focus this for the young adult group or are you going to focus more toward the adult/general sci-fi group. Read a books in the genre and market your trying to reach. Reading is just important as writing when you want to write something. Reading helps you learn how words are put together and what makes the story fit a particular genre.

The interesting thing about science fiction writing is that you are so unrestrained by so many things that other fiction writers might be. You have free reign to create the rules and history of your world.

To ask what makes a story unique is difficult, if there were a way to simply list the things that make this type of story unique then it really wouldn't end up being unique.

So you need critiques... Here you are. 1. Evolution never will mutate one specie in order to save another. It works for benefit of each specie. It has no morals. 2. Whatever is mutation there always is a number of people who can survive. Again evolution isn't interested in extinction of any specie. 3. You'd better depict it so as people intruded natural evolution mechanisms and started experimenting with genetics on human. And it went out of control. 4. Don't forget about the happy end. ;-)