Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Politics & GovernmentOther - Politics & Government · 1 decade ago

Israel - U.S. Relationship?

Okay can someone please help me understand the relationship that the U.S. has with Israel? Why have we been so close to Israel since Reagan or Carter? I've heard complaints about the relationship and why we shouldn't help Israel. I know absolutely nothing so if you could explain everything to me from the begininng that would be wonderful.

Chris, 16, Cincinnati

Favorite Answer

Chris --

Israel–United States relations have evolved from an initial United States policy of sympathy and support for the creation of a Jewish homeland in 1947 to an unusual partnership that links a small but militarily powerful Israel with the United States, with the U.S. superpower trying to balance competing interests in the Middle East. To the United States, Israel is a major non-NATO ally and its closest ally in the Greater Middle East.

Wikipedia has a HUGE article on exactly what you're looking for. I could explain it to you, but I think you'd be better off reading this. It's way too big for me to summarize and/or for me to copy here.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Israel-United_States_...

Hope that helps you!