promotion image of download ymail app
Promoted
Anonymous
Anonymous asked in PetsDogs · 1 decade ago

Is this a scam from people overseas trying to sell dogs they don't really have?

I have been looking on the net to buy a yorkie and came across a bunch of ads that are giving away FREE toy and teacup yorkies. But eveytime I ask the people a question about the dogs they all have the same answer.......... that they are getting rid of the dog do to some bad accident where someone died (like there wife whos dogs they were in the first place) or they just dont have the time. The thing is they ALL say there from Cameroon. Cameroon is in Africa !!! And have to ship the dog. Now this sounds like big bull to me - is this scam going on in other states too. How can I find out if its an absolute scam and or report them?

16 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

Yep, scams.

The ICCC is the Internet Crime Complaint Center and they handle complaints about Internet scams. http://www.ic3.gov/complaint/default.aspx They are co-sponsored by the FBI and White Collar Crime Center.

I also want to add that buying a puppy over the net is not a good idea. Most of the people that advertise on these sites are BYB's and puppy mills

If you want a yorkie, head to http://www.ytca.org and get a breeder referral, or head to http://www.petfinder.com to find a rescue dog.

GL.

http://www.pbrc.net/breeding3.html (chart on good vs. bad breeders)

• Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • 1 decade ago

It is a scam, the same thing happened to a friend of mine. It was a golden retriever puppy, they had pics of it in a basket and it was soo cute and it was free only she had to pay for it to be shipped from ...CAMEROON! We had to look it up and found out it was in Africa. We found an ad on kijiji that was warning people about these scams. These scams are based in Nigeria The dog doesn't even exist, they have hundreds if not thousands of fake dogs on sites all over canada and the states.

http://www.helpmerick.com/fun_with_cameroon_pet_sc...

See if any of this looks familiar.

You can go to www.crimes-of-persuasion.com to report an online scam

• 1 decade ago

It is a scam--dont fall for it.

As a side note, Yorkies come in one size. Do NOT fall for the "teacup"..that's a scam in itself, whether you get the dog or not. Teacups are sickly runts.

And never buy a dog off the internet as a general rule. If you want a purebred Yorkie from a breeder, find the Yorkie breed club, and look for a reputable breeder in your area.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

is the sky blue? Is grass green? Of course its a scam.

http://ytca.org < the yorkie breed club. If you want a puppy from a breeder go through them and ONLY them otherwise go adopt from the shelter.

Secondly there is no and will never be such a thing as a toy or teacup yorkie. They are SCAMS. A healthy yorkie is between 4 and 7 lbs.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 decade ago

it is a scam. Unfortunantly its hard to track and report them.. its not hard to change email and IP addy's.. even harder to report them since they are overseas!

Im sure its going on in other areas.. but these scams are more common from parts of africa. I have heard of scams in countries like Canada, India, etc.

Anyone offering a "free/cheap" yorkie is a scam artist. Think about it.. Yorkies are a highly desired purebred that costs alot of money. If someone actually had one.. do you really think they'd have to resort to giving it away free just for cost of shipping? People close enough to them would be more than willing to jump thru hoops and pay $500+ for the pup!

• 1 decade ago

Yes it's a scam, why would you buy a puppy/dog sight unseen? And why would anyone fly a dog from one continent to another, we aren't talking a one hour flight here, we are talking a 20 hour flight, that's too much for any dog to endure.

They will ask you to send money then they will say something went wrong and the dog is sick or the dog needs a medical exam before it is safe to fly or they'll say the dog is in quarantine and you need to send another couple of hundred dollars to get it out of quarantine etc.

It'll keep going on and before you know it you'll be out about $1000 before you finally give up on a dog that doesn't exist.

Find one locally or search for a breeder in your area.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

It's a scam. If people are gullible enough to send the money to ship the puppy, they never get a puppy and they never see the money again. Some people have actually paid for the shipping then the scammers will say that the animal got sick and they need money for the vet bills to get more money out of the people they are scamming.

• Anonymous
    4 years ago

Depends, some of them do it just for money and maybe because they want people to feel sorry for them like a Histrionic person, Alot of the time they are mentally Ill or unemployed, a good idea is for homeless people to go to places with a low unemployment rate like don't go to Los Angeles or New York or San Diego go to least expensive places but how will u get that help? I'm not the expert, maybe the state can help, hopefully there not like Wahh are population is dropping!

• 1 decade ago

The moment I saw the word "Teacup" I knew it was a fad. DON'T BUY A YORKIE FROM THEM!!!! Teacups are not a breed! They are just a bunch of runts bred together to make sickly unhealthy dogs!

Adopt!

• LYNN W
    Lv 6
    1 decade ago

Its a SCAM. They want you to send the money for shipping and you never get the dog They could find someone local to take the dog if that story was really true..think about it!!!

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.