Paying tax for cigarettes on an indian reservation?

So there's a new law in NY thats going to start taxing cigarettes on indian reservations some time next month..So here's my question about it, the law says that non-indians have to be taxed on cigarettes purchased from a reservation, I am 1/4 american indian, I dont live on a reservation but would I have to pay this tax as well?

Favorite Answer

From the actual legislation:

(b) “Definitions.”

(1) “Indian nation or tribe” for purposes of this Part means one of the following New York State Indian

nations or tribes: Cayuga Indian Nation of New York, Oneida Indian Nation of New York, Onondaga Nation

of Indians, Poospatuck or Unkechauge Nation, St. Regis Mohawk, Seneca Nation of Indians, Shinnecock Tribe,

Tonawanda Band of Senecas and Tuscarora Nation of Indians.

(2) “Qualified Indian” for purposes of this Part means a person duly enrolled on the tribal rolls of one

of the Indian nations or tribes. In the case of the Cayuga Indian Nation of New York, such term shall include

enrolled members of such Nation when such enrolled members purchase cigarettes on any Seneca reservation.

So, if you're on a tribal roll, you're exempt. If not, you're not.

Source(s): www.tax.state.ny.us/pdf/rulemaking/sep1003/indianenf/text.pdf