Why did Hannibal Rising get bad reviews?

I honestly think that Hannibal Rising was an amazing movie and well executed (Yes, I know I am bit late in asking this question since it's been almost a year since it's release). Gaspard Ulliel did an amazing job with portraying Hannibal Lecter. I think a lot of people forgot that this is a prequel. It's suppose to... show more I honestly think that Hannibal Rising was an amazing movie and well executed (Yes, I know I am bit late in asking this question since it's been almost a year since it's release). Gaspard Ulliel did an amazing job with portraying Hannibal Lecter. I think a lot of people forgot that this is a prequel. It's suppose to show you how Hannibal began to become... Well, the Hannibal we all know and love.

Prequels are (in my opinion) notoriously bad. There are very few that actually make it in my book. And Hannibal Rising is one of those few. It was visually beautiful and all the actors did an excellent job. Yes, all the actors.

Again, some like that is very rare. Normally out of a cast of characters that are all essentially important, there might be one actor that wasn't exactly up to par. But in Rising all the actors were.

In Rising it's the beginning of Hannibal's transformation. Gaspard Ulliel's movements and speech was so close to Anthony Hopkin's own version of Hannibal were surprisingly close and I was left very satisfied with Gaspard's performance.

So I'd like to know if any one thinks the way I do or if they really didn't like the movie. If not, I've love to know why. I'm honestly really interested in knowing why it did as badly as it did.

Thanks!