Brenda
Brenda asked in Arts & HumanitiesGenealogy · 1 decade ago

How do I find marriage records in Dunklin county, Missouri?

They have some of them posted online at Rootsweb. But I did not find my ancestors marriage record. Do I hire someone in that area to look it up for me? Also, I recently received 2 documents that told me one of my ancestor's maiden name was Sarah Ann Jordan. When I looked up this name in MO, I found several. I've been able to discount several of them. But one was living in the same county---Dunklin---as her husband was living in. He was from Clarkston. The Sarah that I found was from a twp called Indepencence. Is it safe to conclude that I have found her? IF it was her, I've been able to locate all of the census records going back to 1850. And IF it was her, the parents would've been named Logan Jordan and Delinda Jordan-Moore. How do I go about verifying this data?

Her husband's name was William Thomas Craig. I did locate them together on the 1880 census; they were living in Breckenridge, Stephens, TX. Sarah was from Missouri. But I didn't know what part of the state.....

Not too long after that census was done, they moved to Mill Creek, Oklahoma. Which is where she died. Shortly thereafter, Wm took the kids and moved to Howard county, Arkansas. I was able to locate his military records and pension records. It was those records that gave me the county in Missouri. Wm listed "Clarkston, Mo" as his home. That was Dunklin county, MO. And that is where I am finding some information on the Jordan families.... not in Clarkston, but in a nearby township---Independence.

After all of my digging online, I'm inclined to believe my Sarah A. Jordan was d/o Logan & Delinda Jordan. Delinda married into the Moore family. THis family did have a Sarah A. and were there consistently from 1850 thru 1880. I'm just not sure of how to prove it.

Favorite Answer

The Sarah in Dunklin does look like a good candidate for your Sarah. Look for other documents that would list her parents names. Order her death certificate from Mill Creek, OK. This might have her parents names and where she was born.

State of Oklahoma

Oklahoma Vital Records Service

Oklahoma State Dept of Health

1000 Northeast Tenth, Room 117

Oklahoma City, OK 73117

Telephone: (405) 271-4040

or probably a better choice:

Johnston County

Johnston County Clerk

County Courthouse

414 W. Main, Suite 201

Tishomingo, OK 73460

Telephone: (405) 371-3058

---------------------

In 1880 she states her father was born in NC and mother in TN. Look on previous census records and see if these people were born here, if not, don't count them out totally, but look at others too.

----------------------

Sarah A. Craig

Home in 1880: Breckenridge, Stephens, Texas

Age: 24

Estimated Birth Year: abt 1856

Birthplace: Missouri

Relation to Head of Household: Wife

Spouse's Name: Wm. T.

Father's birthplace: North Carolina

Mother's birthplace: Tennessee

Neighbors: View others on page

Occupation: Keeping House

Marital Status: Married

Race: White

Gender: Female

Wm. T. Craig 46 KY VA VA

Sarah A. Craig 24 MO NC TN

Waconda Craig 4 MO KY MO

Elmsy M. Craig 2 TX KY MO

----------------

Sarah Jordan

Estimated Birth Year: abt 1852

Age in 1870: 18

Birthplace: Missouri

Home in 1870: Independence, Dunklin, Missouri

Race: White

Gender: Female

Value of real estate: View Image

Post Office: Kennett

Household Members: Name Age

Delinda Moore 52

Sarah Jordan 18

Elias Jordan 15

Elisabeth Jordan 4

----------

William Craig

Age in 1860: 26

Birth Year: abt 1834

Birthplace: Kentucky

Home in 1860: Union, Dunklin, Missouri

Gender: Male

Post Office: West Prairie

Value of real estate: View Image

Household Members: Name Age

William Craig 26

Mary J Craig 20

Deluda Jordan

Age in 1860: 36

Birth Year: abt 1824

Birthplace: South Carolina

Home in 1860: Independence, Dunklin, Missouri

Gender: Female

Post Office: Kennett

Deluda Jordan 36 SC

Thomas Jordan 17 MO

George Jordan 12

Sarah Jordan 10

Elyas Jordan 6

(Charles Jordan and wife Mary are there also with him being born in IL and Mary in TN.)

------------------

Logan Jordan

Age: 30

Estimated Birth Year: abt 1820

Birth Place: Illinois

Gender: Male

Home in 1850(City,County,State): Independence, Dunklin, Missouri

Household Members: Name Age

Dalinda Jordan 31 NC

George Jordan 4

Logan Jordan 30 IL

Louisa Jordan 2

Thomas Jordan 6 MO

So Sarah said her dad was born in NC and mother in TN and Logan was born in IL and Dalinda in NC. It's possible that she got the locations wrong later or William Thomas Craig told the census taker the information.

You might want to track her siblings and see what they said on the 1880 census. Also see if any of her relatives or neighbors moved to Texas with them.

See if there's a will for Logan or Delinda in Dunklin Co, MO, especially if they owned land. It might list their daughter Sarah's married name or if she is out of the state, etc.

1

Source(s): Marriage Record Search Database : http://marriagerecords.zourg.com/?Mva

There are a lot of online sources for researching birth, death and marriage records. Since you know the specific County, I would suggest that you start with the Dunklin County, Missouri website through the Free Public Records Directory website. The website provides links to the State Department of Vital Records, and a Genealogy Records Search for Dunklin County. You can also contact the Dunklin County Recorder using the contact information on the website, if you don't find what you need on the other two websites.

U.S. and International Marriage Records, 1560-1900

Name: Logan Jordan

Gender: male

Birth Place: IL

Birth Year: 1820

Spouse Name: Dalinda ???

Spouse

Birth Place: NC

Spouse Birth Year: 1819

Marriage State: of MO

(Here is Logan & Dalinda/Delinda's listing, but it doesn't specify any date. Averaging 20 years per generation, I would say their marriage year would have been 1839-40. Can't find Sarah or her husband listed at all.)

Source(s): www.ancestry.com
  • Sidney

If you know her husband's name, you should be able to find him on the census records living with her. Look at her age, place of birth, and her parents' places of birth on the census records and compare them to the Sarah you found. Also sometimes parents are living with or near their children.

You can try RAOGK to see if there is a volunteer for that area.

Who did she marry?

Is it possible she didn't marry in MO?