Hydrogen Peroxide for ears?

Right now I have fluid in my middle ear, and doctors keep on recommending decongestants. I am tired of using them, so I have been trying Mineral Oil instead. Now I am reading that you can use H.Peroxide for your ears. Is this true and safe? If so, what are the directions to use it for my ears?

Favorite Answer

The bubbling action of Peroxide helps losen the built up wax, and the peroxide kills germs that build up in excess fluid: ie. water.

Use a cap, or a dropper, to put the hydrogen peroxide into your ear. Let it bubble for a few seconds, then tip your head with a towel on your ear to catch the fluid when it comes out.

Used once or twice a year, to clean out your ears, is a great way to avoid infections.

Used to often, it can dry out the natural wax and lubrication needed.

If you have an infection, being treated by a Dr., be careful; the peroxide could cause a rupture of the infection site if it's bad enough. This can damage your hearing permanently.

Talk to a Naturopath / Health practitioner first.

Peroxide is safe, but it won't enter the middle ear, or have much effect on it. Neither will mineral oil.

The doctor probably knows best. Visit the doctor often, and tell them what your symptoms are and ask for a different treatment if decongestants don't help.

This can be serious, and you should only do things your doctor tells you to do.

I do that sometimes usually after hitting the beach. I dip a q-tip and clean out my ear with it. Too much though can dry up your ear canal which can lead to infection from letting in foreign stuff.

Take a capful of HP and pour it in your ear. It tickles alot, if you can stand it, let it sit for a couple of minutes.

Source(s): Done it several times.