Travelling to Ireland..Need some help?

Thinking of Travelling to Ireland from Vancouver this October. I have never been there. What is the best city in Ireland to visit? How is the weather in October? Are the people nice? and finally, is it expensive there..like hotels, food etc.. thanks!

Favorite Answer

Go to Cork.

We have the Jazz Festival in October.

There are many lovely places you can visit easily from there, like Glengarrif and Garnish Island if you are into Gardens, or Anne's Grove Garden, Fota Island with its wildlife park, where the Loris are jumping about in the trees, Blarney Castle, - don't bother with the Stone, but the stone circle and pagan remnants on the castle site are well worth a visit, Kinsale is a lovely town, so are Cobh and Youghal (pronounce:"Cove" and "Yawl")

Cork has a theatre, loads of lovely pubs and bars, and is less expensive than Dublin. For value for money I'd recommend a B&B, and a rented car to get around. Except for Dublin public transport in this country is a joke

If you want to go further afield there is Killarney with its gorgeous scenery, though it's very touristy.

Or else go to Belfast, there is a lot going on there, and the natives are friendly to outsiders even though not always to each other. It also has a very scenic hinterland.

Dublin is an overpriced place, I don't want to insult the Dubliners by expressing my true feelings about their beloved city. 'Nough said.

As for the weather, October can be one of the better months in Ireland, but you might have to put up with rain and wind like in any other month of the year. Don't bother with an umbrella, the things are very little use in our horizontal rain, but do not forget a rainproof jacket with a hood.

• Orla C

The best city in Ireland to visit is NOT Dublin, because it is far more English in feel than any other city in Ireland, and even the locals in Dublin say this. However, it is well worth a visit if you have a couple of days available. Just don't use a car in the city itself, it's much easier to get around on public transport.

Ireland doesn't really do cities, it's more rural than urban. You could visit any of the other cities though: Galway has a lovely 'on-the-edge-of-the-world' feel to it, and it the one city where you are like to hear Irish spoken by the locals. Still called The Town of the Tribes .... Limerick is smaller, greyer, but what most people don't know it that Limerick has a thriving arts scene, with poetry readings, performance nights, exhibition openings, theatre, music, etc. Great night life also. Cork is great too, I'm not so familiar with the nightlife there, but the cafes and pubs are excellent, and the arts scene is also great. Waterford is small and friendly, and if you get over next August for the August Bank Holiday Weekend, you shouldn't miss the Spraoi festival, it's great. Kilkenny has the Arts Festival and the Cat Laughs Comedy Festival, plus it's still got a mediaeval feel to it, and great night life.

I would suggest the same as many other answerers, hire a car and drive around the countryside. In October, you should be able to just wander and not need to pre-book accommodation, unless there is a local festival on somewhere. Check that the main tourist sites like Newgrange etc are open at that time of year before traipsing all the way out there, but you can also ask in smaller local places. The best places are not really on the tourist map.

The people are usually friendly. But don't get offended if they mistake you for an American. Not everyone knows the difference, so please allow for this very human error!

Ireland has become very expensive, in particular Dublin. A two-course lunch in a nice cafe can easily set you back 25 Euro per person, without wine. Pubs often do food at the same price range, but restaurants do tend to be a little bit more. What with all the other nationalities coming in to live and work in Ireland, the catering trade in general has undergone a radical transformation - you get a lot of Mediterranean and Asian influence in food in cafes now, it's actually quite rare to get colcannon, boxty, crubeens, bacon and cabbage and corned beef now. Potatoes are still a staple, but pasta, rice, and grains are also part of many menus. Don't be surprised if the waiting staff are not Irish, many places employ Eastern Europeans nowadays. Generally the quality of cafes etc. has improved a lot. If you're in Limerick city, eat at the Sage Cafe on Catherine Street. Their chocolate cake and their carrot cake are both to die for.

Ok, to start off, the weather in October, like the rest of the year is unpredicable. it could be freezing cold with ground frost, gale force winds and ice covered roads or raining buckets from the heavens or it could be very nice, cool with the sun shining (but you will need a coat, gloves ect).

One of the best cities to visit would be our nations capital, Dublin because there is just so much to do and see. however Ireland is such a small country it would be easy to go day tripping to some of the other cities such as Kilkenny, Cork and Galway (rent a car or take a train or Bus). they are all very interesting places to go and visit.

as for expensive. yes. very. Ireland is alas one of the most expensive places to live in europe. however since tourism has been down lately many Hotels are in a bit of a price war so if you should shop around you might find a good deal. unlike in america we do not have anything as cheap as your motels but if you really are going low budget then there are always hostels.

and the people... its mixed. some are nice, some are not, but you can say the same for any other place in the world. people are usually fairly understanding of tourists at least so you should be fine.

have a good trip. please spend a lot of your hard erned money ^_^

oh and as a side note, food here is of a very high standard (most of the time) but you'll also pay for it as well

Source(s): my own personaly experiance. I've lived here all my life ^_^

I go to Ireland every year.

I would strongly suggest renting a car and do some traveling yourself to admire the scenery.

The weather will be wet/cold for the most part. B&B's are reasonably priced througout the countryside.

Sites to see while you're there....besides Dublin of course:

Waterford crystal factory

Bunratty Castle

Blarney Castle(DO NOT kiss the stone--people have been known to pee on it...and it's actually part of the castle wall, not a stone)

Cliffs of Moher

Dirty Nelly's pub(i think that's how you spell it)

The Burren

When you get to Galway, take a ferry to the aran islands. Awesome thing to do!!!!

Good luck and have fun :)

People are great there. I imagine the weather will be dreary. It tends to be, there, much of the time. Lots of rain and drizzle. That's why it's so green. Emerald Isle, you know.

And, yeah. I hear it has gotten VERY expensive!

I suggest, rather than a city, to pick some small towns. Cork is nice. I would LOVE to see the Galway coast! Anything AWAY from the cities is best, though.

• Orla C
      3 years agoReport

Cork isn't a small town.

The weather is very mixed in October nice days and not nice days. Yesterday here it was sunny and 25C (77F), right now it's lashing but it was nice a few minutes ago. Dublin has some great places to go! Yes we're nice people! You could get a meal for one here for around 25euro. Ireland is a very nice place.

Source(s): Irish national

hi you

cork would be the best city to come and yes hotels can be expensive but you will find a place here to suit your pocket even if it is a b+b it can be wet over here in october

The weather will be the same if not colder than it is in vancouver. July we wore heavy sweatshirts.

The Ring of Kerry is beautiful, if you don't get car sick that is. My family is from Dundalk.

You have to go kiss the blarney stone.

Why would people want to meet their contacts? Not a good idea! How do you know that your nice, friendly sounding contact is not an axe murderer waiting for his next victim? If you are going to meet a contact, make sure it's in a public place with lots of people around.

You can check out my website below and e-mail me at 2morrowsInnovations@gmail.com and I can provide you with information, as well as create a travel package for you within the budget that you indicate.