marriage and citizenship?

My boyfriend and I have decided to get married. The only thing is he is here on a visa. Since California allows gay marriage can he still become an American citizen?

1 Answer

  • Favorite Answer

    Citizenship is not decided on by individual states, but by the United States Federal agency of Immigration and Customs Enforcement and US Federal Law states that the Federal government only recognizes marriage as "a legal union between one man and one woman."

    Your boyfriend can become a US citizen, but not through same sex marriage; he could only become a US citizen through same sex marriage if the Defense of Marriage Act were to be repealed and replaced by a law where the federal government were to recognize same sex marriage.

    • Login to reply the answers
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

    i think so

    • Login to reply the answers
Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.