Anonymous
Anonymous asked in TravelUnited StatesNew Orleans · 1 decade ago

Why do ppl still live in New Orleans?

The Hurricanes will never stop so why don't they just move away for good!!!???

For the best answers, search on this site https://shorturl.im/awVrA

No. It is because of Katrina. People from Houston think New Orleans are all criminals which is just dumb. If they were smart they would know that they are decent and nice people too. They blame New Orleans for there crime still to this day which is also dumb. The mayor is j*ckass who also said he doesn't want New Orleans people there. I find it offensive. Im not a criminal, i live in a good area in nola, never been arrested, im a good person, i work full time, graduated from Tulane, and best of all obey the law. Hell i drove myself to houston in my own car and paid for my own hotel room. Houston is full ignorant as$holes with a few good people. New Orleans is not full of thugs.. Why after 4 years are they blaming there $hit on us. can't blame nola anymore people left. Pettichew is correct. It is Houstons fault not us. Look at MIKES answer: I prove my point.

• Jacoby

I never understand it but no area is truly perfect

New Orleans has hurricanes

Oklahoma is in tonado alley

San Fran gets major quakes

Here in Western NY we get tons of lake effect snow

Still I wonder the same thing. I guess it's just hard to leave an area you've always lived that your used to and your friends are

It's like in the 70's why'd everyone stay in Buffalo. Layoffs were massive, the economy was down, we got major blizzards, morale was at an all time low.

Because it was still where we grew up and had always lived

Source(s): Western NY Native

Yeah NOLA Guy obviously is giving false data.

Census Bureau reports population between 200000-300000. Nowhere near 1.4 mil.

http://www.census.gov/Press-Release/www/releases/a...

And yes some part of it is below sea level. Are you sure you live there?

While it's true most places have some kind of natural disaster possibility. Some places are more vulnerable than others. There's a difference between hurricane in NYC, and having your entire town submerged under water. How are the two even comparable?

Hi NOLA,

Good points and best of luck with Gustav. As far as the elevation of parts of New Orleans, how is it a myth?

Here is some data that shows many parts of New Orleans at 0 to -4 ft below sea level:

http://gnocdc.s3.amazonaws.com/maps/elevation.html

Another site says the low elevation is -8 ft below sea level:

http://mac.usgs.gov/isb/pubs/booklets/elvadist/elv...

Source(s): Google - New Orleans elevation

That's like saying tornados hit the midwest, earthquakes hit california ...people should move!

Bad things happen everywhere you live.

You've obviously never been to New Orleans or you'd know why we live here.

It is a wonderful city full of culture and fun. I'll always live here

I live in the midwest-have always lived here my entire life and have NEVER seen a tornado. The closest one has came has been like 30 miles from my house back in like 1976. So the argument that all places get hit by natural disasters all the time just is not true.

no matter where you are here is always something wrong. But it isn't fair to ask why we still live there becasue you don't aske why people who live in key west why they still live there and they get hit with more hurricanes than nola. same for california they have a risk of earthquakes and kansas with the tornadoes

Another silly assumption. The area is not a hurricane disaster magnet. Stop basing ideas on Katrina and Gustav. Florida has had more devastating hurricanes historically then the NOLA area.

Louisiana isnt the only place that is at risk of flood damage. Why would you post a silly question like this? How about you ask something like, "why is it that we spend billions of dollars to fix up Iraq when that money could go to a city that needs more help rebuilding infrastructure?"

why do people live on fault lines? why do people live in tornado alley? why do people live in flood zones? because that's where they want to be!!