Is it ok for Democrats to attack Sarah Palin's children?

I've heard several Democrats making fun of Sarah Palin's 4 month old son, whom has down syndrome. I was watching a video on youtube where a guy was talking about her disabled son, then said that if McCain/Palin win that would guarantee another retard being in the White House. I've also heard a lot of Democrats say that she is a disgrace as a mother for running for office while her son has special needs. Now the big rumor Democrats are pushing is that her baby isn't her own, but the result of her teenage daughter's pregnancy. Of course, there is no proof of any of this, but who cares, right? I know that politics is a nasty business, but is it really necessary to attack a 4 month old disabled child and a Palin's teenage daughter?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FDxHf9jlx7s

Youtube thumbnail

tickled blue, That was wrong, however Chelsea was an adult. Are you trying to say that is equal to making fun of a 4 month old with a disability? That shows a lot about the morality of Democrats.

• Sean
    Favorite Answer

Attacking the children of political adversaries is wrong.

Now, I watched the video in the link, and it wasn't an attack on Palin's children. It was the noting of some remarkable information about Palin's last pregnancy. She didn't announce she was pregnant until seven months and many people indicated they had no idea she was pregnant in that she wasn't showing at all. This along with the coincidental five-month stay at home for her oldest daughter who allegedly had a severe case of mono. There was NO attack at all on any of the Palin children, but I think it would be fair for the public to know if Palin was covering for an unintended pregnancy of her daughter.

No, its not right at all. But I'd like to clarify a few things here.

1) Its youTube. If you want to find something insulting and vulgar, its there. I've seen videos of American soldiers throwing flash grenades at Iraqi shepards as they drive by for fun, or running Iraqis of the road for sport. Does that mean our soldiers are disgraceful, dishonorable fratboys? No. Its means a few of our soldiers with a camera and an internet connection are disgraceful, dishonorable fratboys. Just because some democrats made fun of a baby, doesn't reflect at all on democrats as a whole. If you look, i'm sure you can find something on youtube with republicans making fun of Obama's race - I'm certain that such a video, or even videos, would say nothing about the morality or views of Republicans as a whole.

2) I've heard some Republicans saying this too. Its not a Democrat - Republican issue, its a sexism issue. Nobody would ask this question of a male VP candidate, and if they did, nobody would get upset with the people asking the question. Athough Palin, in choosing to emphasize her motherhood, somewhat brought this type of question down apon herself, its still inappropriate. Once again, though, just because a Democrat says it, doesn't mean Democrats think it. In addition, just because people debate something, doesn't necessarily mean that they believe it. But lets be fair - if you use your down syndrome baby as a political talking point, you have to accept people asking political questions about it. The fact that the McCain campaign did use her baby as a talking point, I think, is a far more relevant topic of discussion.

3) You need to be REALLY careful about saying things like "Democrats are pushing a big rumor." The rumor you're talking about comes from a viral e-mail which is being passed from person to person on the web. No one knows the author, and its not circulating just within Democratic circles. There is no evidence to attribute it to the Democrats, more or less that they are "pushing the issue". In fact, both Obama and Biden have publicly called on the media to not cover the issue on TV, and denounced using children in political campaigning. As Biden put it, "children are off limits." I'm not sure why you would claim that Democrats are pushing this line of discussion, but I can attest that they most certainly are not. Its a sad fact of American society that the most immature and macabre idiocy tends to find a life of its own on the media and on the news. But to use such behavior to charecterize the Democratic party? By the same logic, one could say that Republicans are pushing the lie that Obama is a Muslim, that he isn't actually a US Citizen, or that he is a Kenyan Citizen who regularly intervenes in Kenyen politics. All three are completely untrue, widely believed rumors spread by anonymous or falsely attributed viral e-mails. Simply because they say false and disgraceful things about a candidate does not reflect in any way upon the moral character of that candidate's opponent, more or less their opponent's party. By jumping to such a conclusion, even on anecdotal evidence, you risk becoming a party to a circle of slander and mudslinging. Watch out.

As a blue dog Democrat who knows a lot of Democrats, I can say pretty certainly that I have never encountered any Democrat who would be anything but disgusted by such behavior. Its pure juvenile mockery, and isn't reserved to, or typical of, any one party. It just shows that there are jerks everywhere.

I think it is awful to make fun of anyone. If we are discussing morality or decency let's talk about individuals and screen some of the answers given on this site. I don't think it is about a particular political affiliation I think it is just about mean spirited, hateful people.

• lesiak

easily. She grew to become into Governor of Alaska - an elected place. Alaska did no longer take any TARP funds, IL grew to become into probable the 1st consistent with their palms out. She has economic duty and genuinely did no longer quadruple Alaska's debt. we've a failed stimulus kit, severe unemployment, bribing senators to vote for wellbeing care the final public of the persons do no longer choose. i could rather vote for her.

• peash

No it's wrong to do. Just like if anyone was making fun of Obama's kids...it would be wrong too. Hey you have to remember that it is not Obama's camp that is talking like that...it's dems from the general population who are saying horrible things just like it's republicans in the general pop who are saying nasty things about Obama's race.

It is in their pay scale I suppose.

I am sure its not all democrats, but boy they make the party look despicable.

Is it ok for republicans to attack Obama's children? Hillary Clinton's child? McCain himself called Chelsea a dog and laughed at how ugly she was....calling her the child of Janet reno. Republicans were NASTY when they saw Obama's two children at the DNC Convention days ago.

ok the dude is a deuche bag for saying that, but the second part is a possibility, here is something on that.

http://lou-imho.blogspot.com/2008/08/rumor-sarah-p...

After seeing liberal newspapers show cartoons of condi rice drawn as a monkey faced leader, nothing surprises me with these hypocrites.

If someone does not agree with them , anyone is their enemy regardless of race, gender or sex.

that's because they have to make up crap and pick on people who have not say in the election, i have yet to see a republican say one word about obamas daughters, or chelsy clinton, or even bidens children, they have no honor or respect, they only want to get in the white house to screw up the country