tunab0y asked in PetsReptiles · 1 decade ago

Can anyone tell me what kind of snake this is?

I found it today hiding in the corner of my yard hidden in some tall grass. It's about one foot long and its body is about the width of an index finger with a larger head.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/24001113@N05/sets/721...

I live in Pasadena, Texas.

Favorite Answer

You have found a western cottonmouth, also known as a water moccasin (Agkistrodon piscivorus leucostoma), and a nice looking one at that. That is a much brighter and nicer looking western cottonmouth than average, since they are usually darker and duller than the other two species of cottonmouths (eastern and Florida cottonmouths). But be careful, they are venomous and a bite will put you in the emergency room and they are capable of killing a human. They are illegal to possess here in Texas unless you buy a special $20 permit, and if your city allows venomous snakes, of course. The best thing to do is release it, but please don't kill it. They prefer to avoid people and don't go looking for trouble, despite what non-snake people seem to think.

I just love it when people ask what kind of snake they just caught. It's not a rattlesnake, that's not a button on the end of it's tail, it's yellow, which makes it, yes, a water moccasin (cottonmouth). Obviously you haven't been bitten by it, if you had, it wouldn't be enough to kill you, because I'm sure you're a smart enough person to realize that if your hand hurts REALLY bad and starts puffing up and turning purple and black after a snake bites you that you should go to the hospital.

I'd take it somewhere and just dump it out in a ditch or pond... away from people. Be careful and from now on, don't pick up snakes without knowing what they are first.

You did no longer say the place you're, yet once you're interior the U. S.: -It became into no longer a green snake, they are tiny -there is not any such element as a "Tree snake" -there is not any such element as a "easy backyard Snake" -there is not any such element as a "gardner snake" -It wasn't a Garter snake the two -there is not any such element as a "green Tree snake" -It became into no longer a coarse green snake, they are tiny -It became into no longer an Emerald Tree Boa, or green Tree python, they are tropical -it is not a green tree viper -there is not any such element as a green racer in case you reside interior the jap OR SOUTHEASTERN U.S., you probable observed a Rat snake, Elaphe obsoleta. They climb wood. they have white chins and bellies. They develop as much as 7 ft, and there's a version time-honored because of the fact the Greenish rat snake. maximum specimens are black yellow & gray. In some areas of Arizona, there's a green rat snake, this is incredibly uncommon.

• Thea

It is a cottonmouth, the young of this species have a yellow tail tip which is quite visible in your photo. It is quite venomous, be very careful when you release it. This link has a photo of a young cottonmouth.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Agkistrodon_piscivoru...

That snake's head looks triangular to me...that means its a pit viper. What part of the country are in? Its tail looks like a rattle. Pit vipers are poisonous.

That is most certainly a young Water Moccasin - it's quite venomous, so either carefully relocate it yourself or call your local division of wildlife or reptile rescue so they can relocate it.

It is a rattle snake. The exact species, I am unsure- where do you live. Since you obviously caught it, I would just release it somewhere away from your house but BE CAREFUL or call animal control and tell them not to kill it, release it. Even young snakes (as this one appears) have venom and and even speculated to be MORE venomous.

i agree with the others call animal control

I agree with the others DO NOT TOUCH IT!

some kind of raddle snake dont touch it and call anima control so a profesional can deal with it