joe l asked in Politics & GovernmentPolitics · 1 decade ago

Which party was Martin Luther King, Jr. in?

Be careful, the answer might not be that which you think is obvious.

Tribeca, I appreciate your cite but you didn't read the whole thing. He was against the specific candidacy of Barry Goldwater, as were other Republicans. Read the last paragraph where he singles out Senators James Ellender (D-Miss), Richard Russell (D-GA), Robert "Sheets" Byrd (former KKK Member and D-WV) and Allen Ellender (D-LA) as being the racists to be feared in Congress. It is clear that the Democratic Party, the party of the plantation owner, was, IS, current candidate noted, and will remain the party that brought you slavery, secession, segregation and socialism. They recognized that the truth was FINALLY getting out and they had to put a house ------ out in front to keep field ------s in line. That's all Obama is, in the end, to them is the house ------.

Heck, Obama's articulate. Obama's clean. Who said that? Joe Biden. Need I say more about the way the view him?

BTW, this is the end of the speech by Archibald Carey on which MLK's "I have a dream" speech was based.

"We, ***** Americans, sing with all loyal Americans: My country 'tis of thee, Sweet land of liberty, Of thee I sing. Land where my fathers died, Land of the Pilgrims' pride From every mountainside Let freedom ring!

That's exactly what we mean--from every mountain side, let freedom ring. Not only from the Green Mountains and White Mountains of Vermont and New Hampshire; not only from the Catskills of New York; but from the Ozarks in Arkansas, from the Stone Mountain

in Georgia, from the Blue Ridge Mountains of Virginia--let it ring not only for the minorities of the United States, but for the disinherited of all the earth--may the Republican Party, under God, from every mountainside,

LET FREEDOM RING!"

I can't believe they edited N-e-g-r-o from this quote. It's embarrassing to this company.

• meg
    Favorite Answer

He was a Republican like almost all blacks that lived in the south at that time, because the southern wing of the Democratic party supported segregation. When Johnson signed the Civil Rights act he commented that he had just made the Democrats a minority party for a generation, and he was right. The Democrats never carried the south in a presidential election after 1964

Martin Luther King, Jr wrote that:

"The Republican Party geared its appeal and program to racism, reaction, and extremism."

He was referring to the 1964 Republican convention. Martin Luther King, Jr. urged all Americans to vote against the Republicans. After that, the Republicans implemented their Southern Strategy and things went from bad to worse.

Martin Luther King was a Republican for a time.

Martin Luther King Jr. was a registered Dem at the time of his death.

Not really obvious.

I think he was either an Independent or not a member of any party.

Republican

the brainiac party

Source(s): the brainiac party

No party, He was black.