Good budget tips when travelling around Europe? Things to know? ANYTHING at all?

Me n my boyfriend are planning a trip around the whole of Europe, for about 6 weeks and probably going to get a train pass to travel around. Just wanting to know from people who have gone to Europe how much (or how little) did you spend, and how'd you do it? did you compromise much? any must sees that people wouldn't normally think to mention? Any tips, ANYTHING! =) please and thankyou

Best Answer

I was living in England and travelling when I could ( normally I was going cheap), so I didn't need to have a europass......some people think its a great thing and for others it does not work out ,but it depends on the time you are travelling etc.

THe more west and north you go, the more expensive it is....places like the UK, scandinavia, germany etc are all pricey ( even on the pound scandanavia was too much for me!)

You can go to some fantastic places that are not TOO expensive. I loved Czech Republic ( Prauge is lovely and I visited a town called Cesky Krumulov), Croatia was great too with amazing coastlines. Slovenia is a cheap option for places like Austria and Swizterland.

Italy has lots to offer...variety of places and is definately worth a look.

France is good to for things to see and do.

In accommodation sharing a hostel room is the cheapest try the hostel websites like www.hostels.com, www,hostelbookers.com www.hostelworld.com.......you will notice that some places are more expensive than others ( ie cities) so you may have to look at where cheaper options are. Take into account that when you stay in cheaper accommodation you often are in the outskirts or even out of the town and have to spend more money ( usually its not TOO much) and time. If you are on a limited time you can be sighing a lot on your way to and from your accommoidation wishing you were already there, so weigh up time ( eg it may take an hour to get too and from your accommodation to the town centre and cost of transport with staying more centrally within walking distance).

If you go to cheap hotels ( which sometimes can be only a little more than hostels in places) you often get breakfast which can save you money as you fill up on that in the mornings....

Don;'t waste too much money on souveniers as they fill up your bags and make them heavier, or posting them can cost a bit. I limited my buying and focused on sightseeing, buying postcards and taking photos, which saves money!

Get some travel guides and LOOK for the cheap/free things/options eg you can walk up the Eiffel tower ( not to top) rather than pay for the lift, the pere lechaise cemetary in Paris is free entry ( and the map that you can buy outside is only a couple of euros and is good) and its quite neat with lots of famous people buried there eg oscar wilde ( the lipstick makrs are from men!), edith piaf, jim morrison ( most boring grave of them all) , chopin...but the other "graves" are very elaborate.

Walking does not cost anything!

You might find that you can get some cheap flights ( www.skyscanner.net)..look for options or buses ( www.eurolines.com)

Don't be tempted to see TOO much in your time as you will be wasting ttime travelling from A to B (eg on my day from Venice to a town called Montepulciano I literally spent the whole day getting there eg 4hr train ride to florence, 1 hr wait for train to sienna, sightseeing, then 2hrs more for next train and bus to arrive at 9pm!!!) ...travelling at night can save money and accommodation costs and you don't waste as much time travelling in your sightseeing itme.

Sarah, it's dangerous everywhere. Where could you tell someone to go and know they'd be truly safe? If you really want to go, then do it. Be careful when you travel. Don't carry a lot of money with you. Arrange to use an ATM machine. Be careful on buses. Don't let people stand too close to your backpack. They can steal things so easily. Naturally you're not going to go to bars and go home with a stranger. If you see any drug activity you're going the other way. Don't wear any expensive jewelry. Be prepared to give up any that you're wearing in case you really have to. With normal precautions, you should be reasonably safe. I wish I could give you a guarantee but I can't. I've been to Mexico, Central America, and South America many times and have had many wonderful trips. You have many wonderful adventures before you. Can't you just dream about standing up at the top of Machu Picchu in Peru looking across the Urabamba River to the Amazon Jungle. Or visiting Buenos Aires where you can enjoy a delicious steak and go to a tango show. Take care and have a great time.

The Europass is a simple must – not only will it save you a ton of money, you can use the pass to get into a lot of things (museums, galleries, etc.) for free or a huge discount – and some restaurants (smaller cafes and such) will also give you a discount, if presented. Oh, and if you buy here, in America, it will be tons cheaper.

Passports have a way of sneaking up on you with delayed receipt or little problems – you order at least 4 mos in advance for the trip. Also, regarding your passport – I recommend that you make a few copies and carry that on your person, while traveling thru the city --- unless of course, you plan to cross from one country to another. Also, keep the original in an extremely safe place because if it is stolen or lost – it could turn your trip into a nightmare and you should know that they are extremely valuable to criminals. Also, if possible – you should leave a copy of it with a VERY trusted person, so if something happens and you cannot get to your copies or the original – then at least they can have it faxed to whatever entity is demanding it.

Your credit card is great for major purchases (large/ expensive gifts, hotels stay, car rental – whatever) – but most credit cards charge hefty foreign transaction fees, meaning every time you swipe – you are charge (this is really for smaller things – like restaurants, bars, nightclubs, etc). Not to mention that there will be a lot of places who don’t take credit – and ATM fees, from both end, are a *****. So you should take some American currency, so keep some hidden on your person --- and stashed away with your passport at whatever safe location -- for emergencies and the rest have exchanged.

If you have your currency exchanged at an airport or a major (at least name brand or 3 star hotels) – you will probably get the best exchange rates. You are lucky that most of Europe know has the same currency – it makes the exchange rates easier to keep track of.

Side note – some hotels offer to keep them in safes

In major cities you should also get a train/ subway pass - whatever the mass transportation method is.

The major cities are easy to navigate and get thru because it is easy to find someone that speaks English – however for other things (reading signs, menus, following road signs) and if you plan to venture to smaller countries/ villages – I recommend getting a electronic translator. They really are not that expensive and quite a few carry a great majority of the most popular languages. Also, they are cheaper than buying a translation book for every country.

Whether you plan to minute or like to freeball – you should have some idea about how the weather is going to be because it can greatly vary from place to place.

Ask your hotel people about local cafes/ restaurant recommendations. A sound cheesy but it is a great way to find out about the most popular, non-tourist restaurants and that means less of a crowd and cheaper prices.

Don’t be the “snooty, arrogant” person. Know it sound like a stereotype or something like that – but a little respect and humility goes a loooonggg way with Europeans and vice versa is the same.

Most of Europe take weeks long vacations – where everything but the hotels and major tourist sites are closed. This is especially true in the summer and so you should know the times and places that this occurs because it can suck if you are trying to visits famous places, exhibits and such.

Have fun, be safe, use common sense – the same rules of safely you apply at home should follow you there.

PS – Sorry it’s so much, I prepared this list for my sister too.

Source(s): A lot of experience - lived abroad and still travel there frequently.

i live in Budapest but have never really been a real tourist here since my husband is a local and we always either stayed with family or like now, own our flat.

I would recommed that you go to a tourist info center that is usually in every city and get some ideas about things happening for cheap or for free. They have things going on here for next to nothing or nothing all of the time, music, parades etc.

It is hard not to be able to read the menu in lunch cafes but if you eat in local cafeteria's you will save allot and the food is alright.

They are open Mon. thru Fri. 11to 3. They cater for small budgets of office workers but there are many around this city anyways.

Never eat in a hot tourist spot, walk a few streets away to save your money.

They have a Budapest card that lets you ride the bus and really good discounts on museums etc.I think it is good for 3 days and buses rides are free with the card.

Also, if you do change money, check out the rates at a few different places, some places are real rip-offs.

that last response was too much. I feel there are two tips to save money.

1) stay in a hostel, its really cheap and a fun time you meet a lot of ppl. To stay away from the scary ones, go to www.hostelworld.com and check out the best rated hostels.

2) dont bring USDs. the best way to get money is through the ATMs there where you can get money at good rates and no surcharges.

3) The train is ridiculously expensive in europe. if you dont believe me look at the prices online. unless you are a trooper and are going country to country its more worth if to just go by bus which is awesome and cheap as hell. I remember going from Bratislava to Budapest for 80 cents, while it was over 50 dollars to go by train. I went from prague to bratislava for 5 dollars. but i decided to stupidly take the train from budapest to prauge and it cost me 70 dollars... and the trip was longer with a million stops...

Have fun.