Anonymous
Anonymous asked in HealthOther - Health · 1 decade ago

Why do I keep getting sick when I drink even a little bit of alcohol.?

I just recently started taking birth control pills to regulate my hormones and I have found that ever since then I have not been able to drink any alcohol without getting sick. I am not a big drinker, but I like to go out and have a beer with my friends every now and then. It seems as if every time I have even just one beer I get sick to my stomach. This never used to happen to me. I could drink a pretty good amount of alcohol and not even be hungover the next day.

I keep a pretty healthy diet and I drink LOTS of water everyday. Nothing else has changed besides me being put on birth control, so I feel like its safe to say that I have been getting sick because the pill is making me more susceptible to the hangover affect of alcohol.

One of my friends suggested that if I am thinking about drinking, I should take Milk Thistle before I do so. Would this help in the event of a night at the bars? I have done some research and I do know that milk thistle can impact the effectiveness of the pill.

Note: I never said that I consumed a lot of alcohol. If I go out with my friends I have 1 or 2 beers. I have only been VERY intoxicated once or twice in my life and I didn't start drinking until I was 21. So please, I am not asking to have people berate me. I have not been drinking since I have discovered this recent affect that alcohol has on me. What is so wrong with a person of age going out to a bar on a Saturday night with her friends and having a few drinks. How dare some of you imply that I am irresponsible with my choices.

Favorite Answer

The pill shouldn't interact with alcohol in any way.

I think taking Milk Thistle is for your liver. It may protect your liver from the damageing effects that the alcohol will do to your liver. You do know that a lot of drinking will damage your liver. My boyfriend's brother just had some tests done and he found out that he has damaged his liver from all the drinking that he had done years ago. He is on the verge of having cirrosis of the liver. Liver damage! Maybe your body is telling you that you can't drink and take the pill at the same time. Probably just do one or the other. Either drink and not take the pill, or take the pill and don't drink.

Well, I have no clue about the alcohol unless you may be having a reaction to it. I just know that when I first started taking birth control, I felt very nauseous the first two months I was taking it. I actually almost threw up in the lobby of a very nice hotel in Montreal.

It probably just has something to do with that.

I'm not a doctor, but I don't have to be one to answer your question. I'm a schoolteacher and lay preacher, but please understand that I am NOT judging you or scolding you or preaching at you. I like a little splash myself every now and again. A bit to too much. I have to self-limit like crazy: 1. No drinking during the week. 2. No hard liquor 3. No drinking my wife doesn't know about. I stick to this quite well. It was either that, or put the plug in the jug. In other words, I stepped back from the slippery slope. The same slope that I suspect you might be on. Drinking instead of eating, and drinking to get "tipsy" (you really mean "drunk" don't you?) are DANGER SIGNS. If spinach made you "drive the bus", or if you honked every time you ate chicken, you would simply eat neither spinach nor chicken. You wouldn't be tryng to figure out ways to enjoy them, would you? Stop me if I'm wrong. When you feel nauseated after you ingest something, or if you cough after inhaling something, your body is trying to tell you something. "WHATEVER YOU'RE PUTTING INTO ME IS BAD FOR ME. LET'S GET RID OF IT, BEFORE THE WORST BEFALLS". Let me answer your question step by step: "1. Drank three jose cuervo shots and one cup of beer." Depending on the time span, three ounces of "to kill ya" and a beer IS A LOT OF BOOZE. You are a female, and your body mass is less than that of a male. Guys can get away with drinkng more booze than women can. Thank you God, for making me a boy! The only exception was my old girlfriend. She weighed 300 pounds, and we used to go over to her house, and play squash. She could drink like a fish. "2. Drank a sip of beer but i hadnt eaten ANYTHING since early that morning." You must have been hungry. The fact that you chose to drink instead of having a meal (even with a beer to go along with it) is a DANGER SIGN. I forget how many million Americans are alchohol dependent, but the number is scary. Even worse, the vast majority of alchohol-dependent Americans deny they have a problem. I'm sorry, but I don't believe you when say you had "a sip", and then talked to Beulah on the Great White Telephone." It was more, wasn't it? "3. Drank 2 beers but hadnt eaten ANYTHING that whole day." Drinking instead of eating is a huge danger sign of alcoholism. Anyone who suggests strategies to help you feed an alchohol addiction without puking is doing you a real disservice. I know I know. If God put the question "should I let Pagan Dan into Heaven" onto a ballot, you'd vote "NO".. That's OK. I'm not Pagan, and my name isn't Dan. I live in Taiwan, and "pagan dan" (bacon and eggs) is my usual breakfast. There is another possibility. Do you take any medication and if so, is there a warning about mixing it with alchohol?

• Kaden

Forget Alcohol altogether

be friends with the reefer instead. MJ never makes you sick, every single thing you do feels a hell of alot better, eating, drinking something good for you, listening to music, going out with friends, being around nature. i say **** beer or whatever you are drinking, i'm the same way with beer, but it takes at least 5 or 6 for me to feel sick, not good at all.

Source(s): best part of it, when you wake up the next day, you shine like a new diamond.

dont take your pill the day you plan on drinking. Go out and get completely smashed and have wild and crazy *&*. Pop out a few babies 9 months down the road and then you probably wont worry about getting a little sick while drinking a beer.

Source(s): you already know

It means your body doesnt like it. Drinking can also affect the birth control and make it easier for you to get pregnant. Maybe also try switching up your birth control pills because it might be a sign of this brand of birth control irritating your system. Most women have to go through a couple different kinds before they find one that fits them

You may have developed an allergy. A few people in my family are allergic to certain types of alcohol. Book an appointment with your doctor. The alcohol could also be interfering with the pills.

Hey, at least if you happen to get pregnant, the kid won't have FAS.

But honestly, it's probably because your liver is already so taxed from the pills, it can't handle the alcohol. Especially if you're taking any other drugs. Be careful, you don't want to pickle your liver.

• Laurie

You have two choices here. Give up the pill and get pregnant and then you still can't drink or stay on the pill to prevent pregnancy and don't drink. Your system just won't allow you to have your cake and eat it too.