Mac Os x leopard administrator and password forgotten or lost?

I know that others have had this problem but I have not found the right answer yet... I have a new Macbook with OS X leopard system installed, I want to load on new program's like garage band and photoshop cs however every time I try and install these a box pops up asking for administrator name and password I try... show more I know that others have had this problem but I have not found the right answer yet...
I have a new Macbook with OS X leopard system installed, I want to load on new program's like garage band and photoshop cs however every time I try and install these a box pops up asking for administrator name and password I try typing these in but am told that it is the wrong info. I have tried resetting the password (press c with OS X CD in when restarting) and also using command s when turning on the mac and finding out the administrator it says "User root#" so I tried using this but still no result. This is really starting to frustrate me now. I would like to know how others have solved this problem.