Where is the White House ?

Could someone tell me exactly what state the White House is in ?! I really confused 'bout that !

7 Answers

Relevance
  • DON W
    Lv 7
    1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

The White House is in the city of Washington, in what's called the District of Columbia. The city is on the Potomac River, wedged in between Maryland and Virginia. It's about an hour drive north of Richmond, Virginia, and about a 45 minute drive south of Baltimore, Maryland.

As others have explained, the District of Columbia isn't a state. It's a special area set aside by our nation to serve as the seat of government. George Washington basically picked the site, which is about a half hour's drive from his planatation home in Mount Vernon, Virginia.

• 1 decade ago

The White House is not located in a state, but in the District of Columbia, which is a part of the continental United States that was carved out to be a separate jurisdiction, so that no state could claim that it was home to the U.S. capitol. The District of Columbia was formerly in the Commonwealth of Virginia and the state of Maryland, and the site was selected by George Washington to be our nation's capitol. President Washington was authorized to select the site for the District, but it was specified that it had to be along the Potomac River.

• Nana
    Lv 6
    1 decade ago

U R kidding...right? I will assume you know it is Washington DC and assume you mean where in DC. It is on Pa. Ave.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Its not a state.

Its the "District of Columbia".

• 1 decade ago

OMG, shock with ur question. U are so funny Dien :))

• matt
    Lv 4
    1 decade ago

why don't you look up at what section you put this question in, its a big hint.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.