home inspections on a HUD home?

My husband and I recently signed a sales contract on our HUD home. The house has been vacant for about 7 or 8 months, and has been winterized. Hud did an inspection 2 months ago, and i was able to print out the inspection report. My sister works for a company that does HUD inspections and appraisals, and knows that the man who did the inspection on our house, is an FHA approved inspector, and so on and so on. I posted a question on here a while back asking if I even needed to get an inspection done, since we knew the people that previously lived there, and still talk to them. They let us know all of the problems that are going on. It's mainly all cosmetics. Everybody made it perfectly clear that we should still get an inspection done. I'm curious as to why the bank we are getting our mortgage from is not requiring it? Is the one the HUD completed good enough for them? Also, if I choose to get the inspection, is that something that I can get the bank who our mortgage is through, to pay for, or at least write into our mortgage? The whole process confuses me. I just do not want to waste $500 right now, since we have a lot of cosmetic repairs we need to do on the house when we close. I also called around about having a plumber de winterize the house for us, and they are quoting us about 200 just to do that! Could somebody please explain the process of how I should go about doing this? I'm very nervous about turning on the utilities for the first time, since nobody has lived there for a while. Everybody is telling me that it is a good thing that the house was winterized. I guess I am paranoid of coming home to a flood after we get the water turned on!

Best Answer

First off. the way to de-winterize a house is to turn the water on. LIterally, you just turn it on and let it run for a minute, that fills the pipes back up with water and flushes out the anti-freeze they put in there (lol, $200 to de-winterize - thats a new one).

About the inspection I think its a good idea as the place has been sitting vacant 8 months and you just never know. However, the inspections HUD does are usually first rate (there are exceptions) and the fact that you knew the former owners is great.

So, I might go ahead and bag it if I were you - but there is a risk of a latent problem, that either the other inspector and former owners missed, or that has come up in the 8 months the place has been vacant - it does happen. Still, if there is a latent problem which the other inspector missed and the former owners didn't even know about, whats the chance your inspector would find it??? Go ahead and bag it if you are ok with that - normally this is a bad idea, but this time it should be fine.

Also, when you buy the place immediately turn the water off at the main valve, the electric off at the main breaker (before turning the utilities on - they should be off already but make sure). Then just have the utility company go turn it on whenever (you don't even have to be there but tell them its off at the main and its a good idea to be there if you can). Then at your leisure turn the water on at the main (make sure all valves are off) and see if its running anywhere. If it is, turn it off at the valve if you can - if there is a leak turn it back off at the main and call a plumber (there is a slight risk the main valve itself could be bad, but I've never had this happen yet - but if the main valve looks worn then make sure you are there when the utilities are turned on so they can turn them back off at the street if they need).

Once the water is ok, fill the water heater and then turn the electric on - again check that there are no obvious problems. Call an electrician if needed.

Its a bit disconcerting to turn the utilities on after the place has been vacant a long time but almost always everything is ok (not perfect but ok) and with you having known the former owners the odds are more in your favor.

Best luck.

• Mark C

You only have to worry if the weather has been freezing since the house was vacant.

When they winterize the house they put antifreeze in the drains, not the supply ( water ) pipes. Antifreeze in the water pipes would be illegal and contaminate the potable water supply. When vacant, they blow air into the supply pipes to push out the water so the pipes do not freeze .We have had some pipes have leaks because the pipes still had some water in them and froze anyway

We check the pipes by closing all the faucets and pressurize the pipes with 32 lbs of air, that way if there is a leak, the water does not ruin the walls, ceilings etc. This might be worth looking into, as water damage can be bad, and the plumber can fix the leaks as air testing is going on. If the air test is good, pressurize the pipes and HWH with water.

One other thing I would do is to check the toilets, for some reason the fillers seem to always leak, the washers in them dry out and crack or fall apart from non use.

HUD will let your plumber in ahead of closing, but we always fix the few leaks as soon as we close.

Good Luck

Source(s): Bought over 20 HUD homes

HUD is the hardest to approve homes you have to jump through hoops to get a home improved so if it was HUD approved your good to go for sure!

I have seen home inspectors miss things that HUD didn't!

• sweet

i could....if there are different matters with regard to the situation of the valuables when you progression in you're able to have criminal recourse against the inspector. additionally get a house risk-free practices Plan.