Home inspections on a HUD home?

My husband and I recently signed a sales contract on our HUD home. The house has been vacant for about 7 or 8 months, and has been winterized. Hud did an inspection 2 months ago, and i was able to print out the inspection report. My sister works for a company that does HUD inspections and appraisals, and knows... show more My husband and I recently signed a sales contract on our HUD home. The house has been vacant for about 7 or 8 months, and has been winterized. Hud did an inspection 2 months ago, and i was able to print out the inspection report. My sister works for a company that does HUD inspections and appraisals, and knows that the man who did the inspection on our house, is an FHA approved inspector, and so on and so on. I posted a question on here a while back asking if I even needed to get an inspection done, since we knew the people that previously lived there, and still talk to them. They let us know all of the problems that are going on. It's mainly all cosmetics. Everybody made it perfectly clear that we should still get an inspection done. I'm curious as to why the bank we are getting our mortgage from is not requiring it? Is the one the HUD completed good enough for them? Also, if I choose to get the inspection, is that something that I can get the bank who our mortgage is through, to pay for, or at least write into our mortgage? The whole process confuses me. I just do not want to waste $500 right now, since we have a lot of cosmetic repairs we need to do on the house when we close. I also called around about having a plumber de winterize the house for us, and they are quoting us about 200 just to do that! Could somebody please explain the process of how I should go about doing this? I'm very nervous about turning on the utilities for the first time, since nobody has lived there for a while. Everybody is telling me that it is a good thing that the house was winterized. I guess I am paranoid of coming home to a flood after we get the water turned on!
4 answers 4