Hair colouring! Opinions, suggestions, and tips please?

So, I am going to dye my hair, and I was wondering what you guys thought about my color options. I might just dye it all black. It's simple, easy and effective. If I decided to dye it black, do you think I should do blue-black or jet black? I know blue-black is shinier and more natural, and jet black is a bit... show more So, I am going to dye my hair, and I was wondering what you guys thought about my color options.

I might just dye it all black. It's simple, easy and effective. If I decided to dye it black, do you think I should do blue-black or jet black? I know blue-black is shinier and more natural, and jet black is a bit duller and better if you want to add streaks of colour. If I like how it looks when it is black, I probably will add some colour to it, but for now should I do blue-black so it looks shinier and more natural, or look ahead so I don't have to re-dye it if I like it?

I also might dye a nice brown under-layer and leave the very top layer blonde, maybe enhancing the blonde colour on top if it looks weird. (I have naturally blonde hair. It is also very long. And no, my hair isn't layered, that's not what I meant.) But I don't want to look like I am channeling Avril Lavigne if I do this. (I hadn't thought about this until this morning when it just came out of my mouth, but I think it makes sense to me now. :)) I think this will be a bit less of a shock because it's a softer change, but... I don't know. Is that good? (And if you don't know what I'm talking about - well, I don't know how to explain it. Just a soft brown underneath and blonde or maybe bleached on top, so that the brown shows through.) This will take longer to do and everything, but I don't really care. :) Still less foil than highlighting.

So, what do you think? Do you have any tips for me? My hair is naturally blonde and I will be using a semi-temporary or demi-permanent dye. (I'm not sure how long I want it to last for yet - it depends on what I do to it.) It is also very long. It's down to my hips right now, and I just cut several inches off to get rid of some of the damaged ends. And yes, my hair is pretty damaged - so do you have any tips for that? And I will also probably be getting a shorter cut soon, but for now my hair is still long. So what do you think? Any tips? Thanks for your suggestions and opinions!

Oh, and I would also say 'no comments please' about my choice to do this and everything, but I am actually asking for your honest opinion, so every nasty comment or attempt to put me off from doing this is definitely appreciated! That's what I'm asking for, your opinions!
Update: Thanks for your help, guys! To answer a few questions: I am nearly fourteen. I am paler than the dead in the sea, but I have a really good foundation that makes me look nice so it's not too bad. I have greenish eyes normally, but they often change between green, grey, and blue. My mum swears they were... show more Thanks for your help, guys!

To answer a few questions:

I am nearly fourteen. I am paler than the dead in the sea, but I have a really good foundation that makes me look nice so it's not too bad. I have greenish eyes normally, but they often change between green, grey, and blue. My mum swears they were grey all the time until this year...

I /don't/ want to look like Avril. Lame.

Lol, yeah, I do have a pretty good idea of what I want. Thanks. :)

Thanks for all of the tips, I will definitely consider all of your suggestions!

Oh, and yes, I will be doing this at home, but I will have some one helping me, either my mum or some friends. :)
Update 2: And of course I am prepared to be stuck with permanant staining - I can always dye it back if I don't like it. It's just hair - it's all ready dead, so it's not like I can kill it or anything!