Getting a roof fixed after a hail storm?

Ok...so we had a hail storm in our area last month...it caused extensive damage to the area. As you can imagine, tons of roofers came out saying oh..you have damage, we need to get you a new roof. Well I didn't want to be had by some bad contractor so I contacted my insurance company. They sent out an adjuster,... show more Ok...so we had a hail storm in our area last month...it caused extensive damage to the area. As you can imagine, tons of roofers came out saying oh..you have damage, we need to get you a new roof. Well I didn't want to be had by some bad contractor so I contacted my insurance company. They sent out an adjuster, he looked at it, made a list of everything he thought needed fixed, tallied it up and cut us a check there on the spot. My question is where do we go now? I want to go with a reputable contractor, but since this is the first time that I have ever done this, I don't really know what to do. Will they come out and look over my home and then give me an estimate or will they look at the estimate that the adjuster gave us and go from that? Also a 2nd question is, if I get a quote from a contractor and it ends up being less than what the insurance company gave me, do I have to give that back to them or could I use it to fix up other projects on my home? Any answers would be great for this first time home owner. Thanks!
6 answers 6