Why did Martin Luther become an anti-semite?

I do know that he first thought the reason why Jews cannot believe in Jesus is the fault of the Catholic church and that by restoring the "original Christian faith" they would come to believe in him. When they didn't, he couldn't understand why and fell in the trap of interpreting the bible from an anti-semtic... show more I do know that he first thought the reason why Jews cannot believe in Jesus is the fault of the Catholic church and that by restoring the "original Christian faith" they would come to believe in him. When they didn't, he couldn't understand why and fell in the trap of interpreting the bible from an anti-semtic point of view.

So I do know that but I don't really understand it. Can anyone explain?

Also, were there additionally other than religious reasons why he suddenly looked at the Jews so negatively?
Update: folks it's not about finding excuses and it's not about Protestantism in general or in contrast to other religions/denominations. I'm Protestant myself, I have no intention to attack the Protestant faith here.
Update 2: LeFun, probably I should have been more clear. I'm talking about Martin Luther, the person at the origin of the reformation, not Martin Luther King
Update 3: I don't agree that Martin Luther has always been antisemitic. In fact, his whole in environment was very antisemitic, whereas he wrote things like this: "If I had been a Jew and had seen such dolts and blockheads govern and teach the Christian faith, I would sooner have become a hog than a Christian. They... show more I don't agree that Martin Luther has always been antisemitic. In fact, his whole in environment was very antisemitic, whereas he wrote things like this: "If I had been a Jew and had seen such dolts and blockheads govern and teach the Christian faith, I would sooner have become a hog than a Christian. They have dealt with the Jews as if they were dogs rather than human beings; they have done little else than deride them and seize their property. When they baptize them they show them nothing of Christian doctrine or life, but only subject them to popishness and monkery...If the apostles, who also were Jews, had dealt with us Gentiles as we Gentiles deal with the Jews, there would never have been a Christian among the Gentiles ... When we are inclined to boast of our position [as Christians] we should remember that we are but Gentiles, while the Jews are of the lineage of Christ. We are aliens and in-laws; they are blood relatives, cousins, and brothers of our Lord.
Update 4: Therefore, if one is to boast of flesh and blood the Jews are actually nearer to Christ than we are...If we really want to help them, we must be guided in our dealings with them not by papal law but by the law of Christian love. We must receive them cordially, and permit them to trade and work with us, that they... show more Therefore, if one is to boast of flesh and blood the Jews are actually nearer to Christ than we are...If we really want to help them, we must be guided in our dealings with them not by papal law but by the law of Christian love. We must receive them cordially, and permit them to trade and work with us, that they may have occasion and opportunity to associate with us, hear our Christian teaching, and witness our Christian life. If some of them should prove stiff-necked, what of it? After all, we ourselves are not all good Christians either."
Update 5: his book "that Jesus Christ was born a Jew".
I've found these two things in English:
http://www.luther.de/en/kontext/juden.ht...
http://www.theologian.org.uk/churchhisto...
Update 6: So ... first he found his "true faith" and because it makes him so happy, he wants to let all others, including the Jews, benefit from it, in terms of christian love and also the message (any way one looks at it, good or bad, for him, it was like that) and he says that even if many wouldn't believe... show more So ...
first he found his "true faith" and because it makes him so happy, he wants to let all others, including the Jews, benefit from it, in terms of christian love and also the message (any way one looks at it, good or bad, for him, it was like that) and he says that even if many wouldn't believe in Jesus after that, it doesn't matter to him and his attitude, it's still the same christian love displayed.
Yet a bit later, he gets disappointed because of exactly this, because "the Jews" didn't receive him and his message, and instead of keeping his christian attitude, he starts to write horrible things about them.
So to me, there is definitely a turn. And I'd like to understand why.
Update 7: paperback ... sorry, I saw your edit just now ... Yes, I think that was his reason. Yet, I don't know *why* that was a reason for him, *why* that made him change his mind and why he started to suggest persecution of the Jews as a result of their "negative answer". That was basically what the question... show more paperback ... sorry, I saw your edit just now ... Yes, I think that was his reason. Yet, I don't know *why* that was a reason for him, *why* that made him change his mind and why he started to suggest persecution of the Jews as a result of their "negative answer". That was basically what the question was about.
I'm not 100% sure if I got you right ..
Update 8: ok I think I got it now ... of course no reason can serve as an excuse for anti-semitism!! I wanted to understand where it came from.