Will this gay marriage controversy ever be resolved?

Like, will Christians in general stop hating gay people? Will there be less discrimination against homosexuals in the future?

One nation under God.: Excuse me, I am a Christian. I just don't like other Christians ignoring what Jesus preached about love.

• Isobel
    Favorite Answer

Yes. The Christian religion has changed its views drastically before.

For example: When forks were invented, Christians believed using them was an offense to God, as it implied that the fingers he gave us weren't good enough to eat with. They used the Bible to back this up. Now, most Christians have never even heard of this bit of trivia, and would probably laugh at the thought of forks being sinful.

Secondly: Christians used to fully support the slave trade and black segregation laws. Again, they used the Bible to justify their views. Now, your average Christian would be disgusted at the concept of owning and beating slaves, and would swear that such behavior is not acceptable by God.

In the future, I believe that the whole homosexuality controversy will die down too. All this fighting will just be an awful and outdated bit of history, like the slave trade.

Edit: LOL, Oscar! I've never heard that one before.

Source(s): Atheist

It will go away when all gays and lesbians (consenting adults) have full and equal marriage rights under the law. Extremist Christofascist sects can continue to refuse to marry whoever they want as that is their right as long as they don't interfere with a legal human right accorded by the government.

If the Christofascist wing of the Christian religion wants to continue to interfere and push to legislate against basic human rights perhaps they won't mind it if the government starts issuing business license to set up a McDonald's or The Gap in their church buildings and perhaps they'd like to start paying the taxes that they avoid due to religious status now?

Catholics do NOT hate the sinner, but we hate the sin. When a person with same-sex attraction ACTS upon that attraction it becomes a sin. It, however, is NOT a sin if they simply deal with the attractions... much like an unmarried person must practice chastity until (s)he is married.

Chastity is the key! God gave us our sexuality to be embraced. This, however, is where some people go wrong. "Embracing" can mean practicing abstinence, chastity, or married sexual life. Each of these must be embraced as part of our vocation--(single, religious or married respectively).

The very problem with the homosexual "act" is that it cannot enjoy the two ends to the marriage act: unitive and procreative. Truthfully, it's because you cannot beget children through a homosexual "act". This is where Catholics' defining point lies.

Yet again, we are working so that in this upcoming election people will vote "YES" to the Marriage Amendment, defining marriage as between one Man and one Woman.

God Bless.

As a Christian I don't hate gay people. I just don't believe in their life style and that is my choice. I believe what the bible says about ALL sin.

Rom 6:23 For the wages of sin [is] death; but the gift of God [is] eternal life through Jesus Christ our Lord.

Eze 18:4 Behold, all souls are mine; as the soul of the father, so also the soul of the son is mine: the soul that sinneth, it shall die.

Do you call it love to allow a someone to perish in their sin by turning a blind eye? Jesus did preach love, he told us the truth. I guess that is why he was hated.

God clearly states that sinners will perish...

Rev 21:8 But the fearful, and unbelieving, and the abominable, and murderers, and whoremongers, and sorcerers, and idolaters, and all liars, shall have their part in the lake which burneth with fire and brimstone: which is the second death.

As a Christian you believe this don't you?

The problem is that marriage is a social institution with certain legal and social and religious rights attached .

Any church or other organization should be allowed to choose who they marry and give the benefits of the church to .

But when it comes to the government there is a problem . IF the government sanctions marriages who should the government be allowed to deny ? Homosexuals , threesomes , brothers and sisters , friends? And will these people be allowed to demand certain social benefits based on a government marriage license ?

As an example If a cruise offers a vacation for M/F married couples will they be able to discriminate against M/M gay couples or M/M heterosexual friend couples ? This puts businesses in a difficult position .

Marriages should be performed by non government organizations .

Question .... Should Lesbian bars be allowed to ban straight men ?

BTW I am atheist and support LGBT rights .

Homosexuality is a sin. I dont hate gay people. It is not my place to judge them. In California, at the moment, it is legal for gays to marry. In November there will be a measure to amend the California constitution to define marriage as between a man and a woman and that would permanently ban gay marriage and invalidate the existing ones.

• DCFN

I think that there will be less discrimination against homosexuals in the future because the issue is being discussed publicly now, and that is paving the way for more freedoms to be recognized later. Gay marriage is legal in some states in the USA, and Senator Obama would like for Civil Unions to be recognized by the federal government.

Some Christians are gay, but not many, and many gay persons are religious and/or spiritual. If we weren't, then we would settle for civil unions. Civil Unions are a great start, though.

• misma

It is a way for Christians to channel their energy in a direction that won't cost any politicians any money. If they wanted something like world peace for instance it could cost the rich behind the Military Industrial Complex and wars billions and billions of dollars. If Christians really cared about this country they'd march down to Washington D.C. and demand that the Lobbyists be thrown out of the Capitol as they are the root of most of the country's woes. But, noooooooo, they have become so brainwashed by the church that they can no longer see clearly. The church listens to those with the money.

Princess Selena, Christians do not HATE! It is very disturbing when someone thinks that because we don't agree with gay marriage that it means we hate gay people. I do not and neither do the other Christians. Please understand that.

We disagree with abortion but we do not hate abortion doctors.

We disagree with theft but we do not hate theives.

We disagree with murder but.." " " " murderers.

Do you understand? I would go out of my way to help a gay person. If their car was broke down I'd do my utmost to help them. I would pick that person up and drive them 25 miles back home so they could get a family member to help fix the car. I really would.

I hate the sin but love the sinner. Right now there is someone in prison for being a child molester. I was shocked when I found out. We were friends before the molestation and we're friends right now. I write to him and he writes to me. But I vehemently disagree with what he did.

I hate the sin but love the sinner. Are we getting it yet??

Christians are fighting an inevitable trend. We have become more and more accepting of gays over the last 40 years and that's not going to change.

It was only 30 years ago that Christians were fighting for states to pass laws to not allow gays to be teachers because, they said, gays were all pedophiles. Gays can't reproduce, the argument went, so they -recruit-.

Christians in the south also fought against the end of slavery, and against civil rights and integration.

So yes, there will be less discrimination against gays. They will have to fight for their rights, but they will win them. Just hang on. Of course then Christians will fight about something else.

All you back water dumbass fundies are going to have a heart attack once Obama wins and moves America forward.

Why don't you go rapture yourselves into a jet engine turbine? Rapture retards shouldn't even have the right to vote they are so ******* crazy.

Source(s): Reality