Anonymous
Anonymous asked in HealthDiseases & ConditionsHeart Diseases · 1 decade ago

Roux-en-Y Gastric Bypass Surgery?

Roux-En-Y Gastric Bypass Surgery?

I'm not obese but I put on weight rather rapidly. I am now 1m54 and 66kgs which is over recommended BMI. Just last year i put on about 15kgs. I lost 10 over 8 weeks but then had major knee surgery and but those 10kgs back on within two weeks of being in hospital. My knee has extensive complications and i have just recently come out of a second major surgery. Today i was waiting for someone in the car for a few hours and i found myself thinking about how eating would be great to pass time.

I'm afraid of becoming obese.

Is Roux-En-Y Gastric Bypass Surgery okay for someone like me, or can only people suffering from obesity, diabetes and other problems get it?

i Already have quiet a strict diet and exercise all lot, i'm in the forces.

i don't know anyone at all who have had the procedure or who has even considered it. and yes i am really considering getting it done. I saw the segment on operah about it and she said it was worth it

Favorite Answer

I had Roux-en-Y Gastric Bypass surgery last Oct. It was well worth it. I'd do it again in a heartbeat. I've lost 120 pounds in 10 months..only 35 more pounds to go!

There are strict guidlins for the surgery here in the US. It may be different where you are. Hre, you must be 100 pounds over your ideal weight with a BMI of at least 40. Yes, you must be morbidly obese for he surgery not just "overweight".

If you are military, you cannot get Gastric Bypass surgery. It's not even an option for military personnel. If you were so overweight that you required surgery, they would discharge you.

I didn't have "lots of Pain" post surgery, nor have I thrown up, had diarrhea or any of those other silly things the previous poster said. Most peopel do not have complications from the surgery. The only people that suffer complications are those that don't follow the diet or choose a bad surgeon.

Source(s): USAF WIFE-gastric bypass patient

Ok, here's the thing. Have you ever talked with anyone having had this surgery. I can tell you this. A lot of them will tell you it was not worth the surgery. You will have lots of pain for weeks after the surgery. Most people who had the surgery will return to the hospital with severe nausea and vomiting + diarrhea for months after the surgery. Also every surgery has it risks, which is not limited to, but includes, bleeds, infections, increased pain, etc. Look, your are not obese and you are really considering this??? The best thing for you would be to just watch what you eat and excercise a little bit more. I would say don't do it. For your sake, talk to a bunch of people who have had this surgery first. Good luck

The "air force wife" lives in another world. See my photo after surgery. How can you have 30 to 40 stainless steel staples in your stomach, from an exterior incision 18 inches long, plus a bunch of interior cuts and stitching, and not have a lot of "silly" pain after surgery?

Use for a search "roux-en-y" + problems to get the other side of the story. My experience is below.

She had no diarrhea or other intestinal problems? Again, she lives in another world. I had diarrhea for 10 days at a time, because the doctor didn't tell me about the massive eating restrictions I had to adopt.

No matter how or why roux en y surgery is done, the bypass allows undigested foods to go directly into the intestine. In my case, yes the food goes into my stomach, but because of the roux bypass, the food then goes directly into my intestine, without staying in the stomach long enough to become partly digested.

A variety of foods then cause pain, discomfort, nausea and diarrhea. Spicey foods (hot sauce), protein drinks, sugars of all types (honey, cake, pie, liquor, wine, kool-aid, box cereals, candy, etc.), chocolates, etc.

Within 30 minutes of eating soups, spicey or sugary food, I start having bowel movements. The human intestine is 30 feet long (according to my doctor), and within 6 hours I can pump out 30 feet of fecal matter.

Solution, don't drink anything with meals, or 1 hour before and two hours after. And I don't mean 90 minutes after, it's two hours or more. Liquid with or near meal time promotes more food leaving my stomach quicker, with accompanying pain, nausea and intestinal emptying.

I also try to lie down on my stomach after each meal, to slow the movement of the food from my stomach into the intestine. As a consequence of not drinking during meals, I'm always thirsty and regularly constipated.

Many roux surgeries involve reducing the size of the stomach. It takes years of self-discipline to get to the point where you don't overeat. But when you do you'll have severe heartburn.

Look on YouTube. There's a doctor there who has done 6,000+ roux surgeries, and on YouTube he states he constantly has patients calling saying they are having a heart attack. But it's actually because they ate too much or too fast, and it's actually heartburn. You have to eat small amounts and eat slowly.

Do more research. The air force wife had a uniquely good outcome, but I would never, ever, ever advise anyone to have roux en y surgery unless they are ready to become disabled by the treatment.

AFTER my surgery I did months of research, and I found about 90% negative comments/outcomes. A car salesman will never tell you not to buy a car, and if you go to a surgeon who does roux surgery, he won't say anything negative (except dismiss patient complaints as "they didn't follow the dietary guidelines). Do lots of research before you commit. There's no going back.